Hi everybody, I am attempting to follow the directions in wiki at: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html I inserted the bootdir section into the kernel configuration file as directed; yet when I compile I get an error message (I have attached the entire compile output at the end of this message): 8c -FVw bootpcauth.c 8l -o bootpcauth.out bootpcauth.8 ../boot/libboot.a8 print.8 ../port/mkroot bootpcauth boot bootpcauth.c:8 name not declared: configfactotum bootpcauth.c:8 name not declared: connectfactotum bootpcauth.c:8 name not declared: factotum bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: config bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: bin bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: disk bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: kfs bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: connect bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: bin bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: disk bootpcauth.c:9 name not declared: kfs too many errors mk: ../boot/mkboot pcauth > ... : exit status=rc 583: 8c 595: error term% ls -l 9pcauth ls: 9pcauth: '9pcauth' directory entry not found term% I looked in our archives and I found a previous message that might have been someone complaining about the same issue: https://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2003-February/022826.html I tried the bootdir entries that people responded with in that thread, and they gave similar errors. I looked at that mkboot script which seems to make the bootpcauth.c file, and if I understood what it was trying to do maybe I could just write the bootpcauth.c file myself or fix the script. I read the wiki entries on compiling the kernel and bootdir. I can compile a kernel if I simply omit the entire bootdir section from the pcauth configuration file. However, when it reboots it requires me to tell it what kernel to boot from as well as the usual [il,local] and user login, and I have other problems in later steps ( the "auth/changeuser bootes" step gives "changeuser: can't create user bootes: access permission denied" ). Is this bootdir stuff really necessary, and if so, where should I start reading to make it work ? Or has making a kernel without the bootdir section succeeded, and I should focus on those error messages ? Thanks in advance ! --Rob