* [9fans] Wiki standalone CPU/Auth instructions
@ 2006-12-21 21:28 Claudio Leite
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Claudio Leite @ 2006-12-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

 I attempted once more to set up a CPU server from the instructions in
the wiki and ended up with the same problem. Everything goes as planned
until I reboot with the CPU kernel. I used glenda (which I
double-checked was in group sys) and made sure to keep track of the keys
I used. Yet, when I reboot (after resetting the nvram), I cannot write
to /adm/keys.who, and thus auth/changeuser fails for any user, including
bootes. So, I can't add anyone to the auth server, and of course cannot
login.

 I set options -AWP on my fossil and of course that worked. But the
current instructions do not mention this (and I didn't quite get what
was meant in the discussions from Feb. or so when this was removed from
the wiki). Drawterm works fine at this point.
But when I remove -AWP, it once again cannot read /adm/keys
and /adm/keys.who, so drawterm and auth/changeuser both fail.

 So--what should I do next?

Thanks.
-Claudio

* Re: [9fans] Wiki standalone CPU/Auth instructions
@ 2006-12-21 21:31 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-21 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Claudio Leite <leitec@bughlt.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I attempted once more to set up a CPU server from the instructions in
> the wiki and ended up with the same problem. Everything goes as planned
> until I reboot with the CPU kernel. I used glenda (which I
> double-checked was in group sys) and made sure to keep track of the keys
> I used. Yet, when I reboot (after resetting the nvram), I cannot write
> to /adm/keys.who, and thus auth/changeuser fails for any user, including
> bootes. So, I can't add anyone to the auth server, and of course cannot
> login.
>
>  I set options -AWP on my fossil and of course that worked. But the
> current instructions do not mention this (and I didn't quite get what
> was meant in the discussions from Feb. or so when this was removed from
> the wiki). Drawterm works fine at this point.
> But when I remove -AWP, it once again cannot read /adm/keys
> and /adm/keys.who, so drawterm and auth/changeuser both fail.
>
>  So--what should I do next?
>
> Thanks.
> -Claudio

I'd like to interject that I have experienced this multiple times myself.
As I'm in the (currently interrupted) process of setting up a CPU/auth
server, I'll probably run into it again soon; let's just hope I can
find the voodoo solution again.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Wiki standalone CPU/Auth instructions
@ 2006-12-21 21:35   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-12-21 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As a data point, I followed the cpu/auth server instructions about 2
weeks ago with complete success, and got a server running in a
Parallels machine quite easily (thanks to David Leimbach's patches).

Paul

@ 2006-12-21 21:49     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-21 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net> wrote:

> As a data point, I followed the cpu/auth server instructions about 2
> weeks ago with complete success, and got a server running in a
> Parallels machine quite easily (thanks to David Leimbach's patches).
>
> Paul

<snip>

Huh. Well, it's definitely been over two weeks since I've set up a
cpu/auth server, so maybe things are happier now.

John
--

@ 2006-12-21 22:33 ` Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2006-12-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK, I changed ownership of /adm/keys and keys.who to bootes and was able
to remove -AWP from fossil. I have a good system now, but I didn't quite
follow the instructions since I had -AWP set while setting it up. I will
try on another machine from scratch to see if I can get it while
following the current instructions.

Also, is it 'bad form' to have bootes (or whatever) in group sys? I
didn't see this mentioned anywhere but I set it so I could update
/sys/src, among other things.

Thanks for the help--much appreciated.

@ 2006-12-21 23:21       ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-12-21 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Wiki standalone CPU/Auth instructions
@ 2006-12-21 23:36         ` Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2006-12-21 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-12-21 23:41           ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-12-21 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Claudio Leite <leitec@bughlt.org> wrote:
> * Paul Lalonde (plalonde@telus.net) wrote:
> >
> > That said, I have vague recollections of adding bootes to the adm
> > group - I don't recall if that is in the wiki.
>
> It's not. The only reference to group membership is that the user which
> you begin with (in the terminal) must be in sys.
>
> -Claudio

I remember that on my system, I ended up adding bootes to adm, sys,
and upas before I was able to do what I wanted to.

John
--

@ 2006-12-22  0:12 ` Georg Lehner
From: Georg Lehner @ 2006-12-22  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

the user running auth/changeuser needs to be in the adm group.  If you
follow the standard instructions auth/changeuse is run by bootes, the
hostowner of the auth server.

Changeing the ownership of the adm files seems the wrong way to go
for me.  The "sys" group is for filesystem administration, and the
"adm" group for authentication, these should be kept separate.

I have put together setup instructions at:

  http://www.magma.com.ni/moin/Plan9Tutorial

trying to smooth the rough edges of the Plan 9 setup instructions.
Everything there is taken from the original Plan 9 Wiki and other Plan 9
documentation, nothing new there, just put nicely together (I hope).

Regards,

        Jorge-León

--
    Jorge-León

* Re: [9fans] Wiki standalone CPU/Auth instructions
@ 2007-01-06  8:15   ` Philip Dye
From: Philip Dye @ 2007-01-06  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.magma.com.ni/moin/Plan9Tutorial is no longer available.

Does anyone have a copy available ?

Thanks,

Philip Dye

@ 2006-12-21 22:44 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-21 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leitec, 9fans

eve on your cpu servers needs to be in the adm group.

- erik

@ 2006-12-21 22:26   ` Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2006-12-21 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Steve Simon (steve@quintile.net) wrote:
> Claudio,
>
> WRT Eric's email:
>
> > --rw-rw---- M 9 mach0 adm 2125 Dec 18 08:13 /adm/keys
> > --rw-rw---- M 9 mach0 adm 1539 Dec 18 08:14 /adm/keys.who

I think that's what's wrong: /adm/keys and /adm/keys.who are owned by
"adm" on my server. I will try to change the owner to bootes and see
what happens.

> I think he is onto somthing here, my permissions are a little different,
> my CPU servers boot as the user 'bootes' - its like root on a unix box, its a
> name which is used by convention for the owner of a machine but everything
> still works if you use a different name, you just have to rembember to use the
> same name as the owner of all your cpu and auth servers. It seems Eric uses
> mach0 as the hostowner for his cpu server, and from your description
> you have chosen glenda.

I actually used 'bootes' for the server owner, but by using glenda I
meant that was the user from which I did the initial setup (pre-reboot).

@ 2006-12-21 22:05 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-12-21 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-12-21 21:39 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-21 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leitec, 9fans

i'm not sure i know exactly what your problem is.  (where are you running
auth/changeuser and as whom?  also which user is eve on your cpu server?)

however, have you checked the owner and permissions on these files?
fossilcons(8) should have instructions on forcing owners and permissions.
the fileserver i am currently using has these permissions:

--rw-rw---- M 9 mach0 adm 2125 Dec 18 08:13 /adm/keys
--rw-rw---- M 9 mach0 adm 1539 Dec 18 08:14 /adm/keys.who

where mach0 is eve.

hopefully this helps.