On Jan 8, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Tim Newsham wrote: > Any reason why they prefer to rewrite large portions of > code to use gcc rather than making use of different toolchains > for the L4 kernel and the plan9 subsystems? It seems like the > latter would be a lot less effort and result in a system that was > easier to track the original sources going forward. But GCC is part of the holy trinity... People are funny like that. > > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:14 PM, YAMANASHI Takeshi > <9.nashi@gmail.com> wrote: > As I heard, the largest work in porting Plan 9 to L4 enviroment > is rewriting Plan 9's C code base to be compiled on gcc > as L4 uses the compiler for its development. > > The developers of LP49 themselves could chime in, but here is the link > to the project. > You might be surprised how much of Plan 9 has been rewritten in LP49. > > http://research.nii.ac.jp/H2O/LP49/LP49-e.html > -- > > > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM, David Leimbach > wrote: > > Recently found a paper (again) documenting some work going on here. > > I've lately sort of had a resurrected interest in OKL4, and I'm > always > > interested in Plan 9 stuff, so I was wondering what's happened > here or if > > there's any code to show for it. > > It seems like an effort that would take more than one person, but > I'm > > spending some of my spare time investigating L4 a little more in > depth than > > I had previously, and trying to understand what it would take to > port Plan 9 > > to this platform. > > I'm not announcing this as a project at this point, as I don't > know what the > > heck kind of time I'm going to have. > > Dave > > > > -- > YAMANASHI Takeshi > > > > > -- > Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com >