* [9fans] RAM - 2 segments
@ 2005-01-05 21:13 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-01-05 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When initializing physical RAM, the mach specific code fills in
two region descriptors which the port code uses.  Has there been
much thought into supporting more than two regions?  Has this
come up with any platforms previously?  The machine I'm working
on currently has 512MB split up into 4 non-contiguous banks of
128MB a piece.  I can currently only use half of the RAM due
to this restriction.

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] RAM - 2 segments
@ 2005-01-05 21:41 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-01-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jan  5 16:13:57 EST 2005, newsham@lava.net wrote:
> When initializing physical RAM, the mach specific code fills in
> two region descriptors which the port code uses.  Has there been
> much thought into supporting more than two regions?  Has this
> come up with any platforms previously?  The machine I'm working
> on currently has 512MB split up into 4 non-contiguous banks of
> 128MB a piece.  I can currently only use half of the RAM due
> to this restriction.
>
> Tim N.

Yes, I have thought of fixing that often over the years and have it
down for the next port we do. It has caused problems in the past (Sparc?),
which we ignored. The current scheme dates, I think, from the original
Gnot terminal.