* [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22  7:18 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-07-22  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

any suggestions for modern, small, quiet, and call
hardware for a Plan 9 auth server (and auth only -
should only need to run secstored and have a small
CF or SATADOM attached)?

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22  9:14 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-07-22  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> any suggestions for modern, small, quiet, and call
> hardware for a Plan 9 auth server.

 I believe the sheevaplug is out as we have no nand flash driver,
some people on here use sorkris boards which have IDE interfaces.
there are also IDE to compact flash adapters which completely remove
the need for rotating disks.

http://www.soekris.com/
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22 14:54   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-07-22 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  I believe the sheevaplug is out as we have no nand flash driver,
> some people on here use sorkris boards which have IDE interfaces.
> there are also IDE to compact flash adapters which completely remove
> the need for rotating disks.
>
> http://www.soekris.com/
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx

$213+$11 for a 233 Mhz machine with marginal 100mbit ethernet,
a funky and difficult bios, poor availibility? i think the world has
passed soekris by.  an atom motherboard + cheep chassis will come
in at about $200.

i believe that http://inferno-kirkwood.googlecode.com/hg/
has some more interesting stuff for those processors.  but then
again, it's not as easy to get as a random atom motherboard.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22 16:25   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2010-07-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually we've had a nand flash driver for the plugs for a while
and I've been using it on the Guruplug.

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22 16:37     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-07-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, Plan 9 with storage works on the Guruplug?
I might grab one of those, then... are the kernel
sources, proper loader, and some hints for plan9.ini
configuration, all available in the stock Plan 9
distribution?

@ 2010-07-27 15:27       ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-07-27 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:37:07AM -0700, Akshat Kumar wrote:
> So, Plan 9 with storage works on the Guruplug?
> I might grab one of those, then... are the kernel
> sources, proper loader, and some hints for plan9.ini
> configuration, all available in the stock Plan 9
> distribution?
Yes, see booting(8) and /sys/src/9/kw/plug.words.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 205 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-27 15:33         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-07-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 09:37:07AM -0700, Akshat Kumar wrote:
> > So, Plan 9 with storage works on the Guruplug?
> > I might grab one of those, then... are the kernel
> > sources, proper loader, and some hints for plan9.ini
> > configuration, all available in the stock Plan 9
> > distribution?
> Yes, see booting(8) and /sys/src/9/kw/plug.words.

careful.  there's no sata driver at this point.
just a flash driver.  of course, you can boot
from aoe.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-27 18:51           ` jake
From: jake @ 2010-07-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If I had a usb drive that was formatted with fossil or kfs,
could I use that as the file system for the sheevaplug?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2266 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:33:15 -0400

@ 2010-07-28  0:59             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-07-28  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jul 27 14:52:54 EDT 2010, jake@9srv.net wrote:
> If I had a usb drive that was formatted with fossil or kfs,
> could I use that as the file system for the sheevaplug?

in theory.  but if the port bobbles, you'll have heartache.
see:

http://9fans.net/archive/2010/03/306
http://9fans.net/archive/2010/03/298

it may be that this is a problem one only sees with my
hardware, and not a regular spinning disk.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] auth server hardware
@ 2010-07-22 12:21 Mateusz Jan Przybylski
From: Mateusz Jan Przybylski @ 2010-07-22 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There used to be a series of HP thin clients, numbered like T5500 and similar.
Those are in fact small PCs, with Ethernet, VGA, four USBs, one PS/2 and even
serial & parallel ports(!), powered by either VIA or Transmeta CPUs (clocked
at 700...1000MHz), with built-in PATA flash drive around 256MB and about as
much of RAM. They run completely quiet and quite cool. They are of size of
average router.

They are dirt cheap those days.

--
Mateusz Jan Przybylski

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''