* [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-10 19:33 Martin Montero
From: Martin Montero @ 2005-03-10 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi every one...

I'll setup a mini plan9 network, I already installed and configure a plan9 cpu/auth
server.
With the plan9 fileserver, I follow the wiki documentation, put the distribution with
replica/pull in the fileserver, etc...
but when i try to boot the fileserver without floppy disk, the filserver doesnt boot.

What am i missing ?
Thanks

250MB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-11  9:07 ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2005-03-11  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:33:58 -0300 (ART), Martin Montero
<martin_montero2@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> but when i try to boot the fileserver without floppy disk, the filserver doesnt boot.
>
> What am i missing ?

The floppy? I think, the Ken FS fileserver need the floppy.
Matthias

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-11 19:53       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-11 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://thinkersleague.law.umich.edu/files/WPGames/WFFNPRUF.htm

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:16:04 -0800, geoff@collyer.net <geoff@collyer.net> wrote:
> er, make that "doesn't need a floppy".
>
> the two things that live on floppy or ide are
> plan9.ini and the nvram file, which contains
> several things, notably the bootes password and
> the name of the device on which to find the config
> block (e.g., h0, w0), which in turn holds what Ken
> called the `wifnproof' (if I've remembered the spelling)
> configuration string.  once the file server has
> started serving files, the floppy (if any) can
> be safely removed until the next boot.  i don't
> think that this is yet documented.

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-11 19:16     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-03-11 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-03-11 19:01   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-03-11 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

actually ken fs doesn't need a copy floppy, you
can use an ide disk instead (and that in turn can
be a compact flash disk).

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-11 15:44 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-11 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what kind of file server are you setting up?
if you're using fossil, sure you can boot without a floppy.
if you're using the old worm file server, you need a floppy.

russ

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:35:44 -0300 (ART), Martin Montero
<martin_montero2@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Can I boot without a floppy ?
>
> Thanx again.
>
> --- Matthias Teege <mteege@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:33:58 -0300 (ART), Martin Montero
> > <martin_montero2@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > > but when i try to boot the fileserver without floppy disk, the filserver doesnt boot.
> > >
> > > What am i missing ?
> >
> > The floppy? I think, the Ken FS fileserver need the floppy.
> > Matthias

> 250MB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
> Correo Yahoo!, el mejor correo web del mundo
> http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

* Re: [9fans] Fileserver boot
@ 2005-03-11 15:35 Martin Montero
From: Martin Montero @ 2005-03-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)