* [9fans] deroff, pic
@ 2008-10-23  2:36 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-10-23  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] deroff, pic
@ 2008-10-23 11:23 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 1) Should deroff -w interpret curly quotes (“”)? Right now it doesn't,
> so spell is treating any words with either character as spelling errors.

; 9diff deroff.c
/n/sources/plan9//sys/src/cmd/deroff.c:963,968 - deroff.c:963,970
  		return chars[c];
  	switch(c){
  	case 0x2013: case 0x2014:	/* en dash, em dash */
+ 	case L'“':
+ 	case L'”':
  		return SPECIAL;
  	}
  	return EXTENDED;

- erik

* Re: [9fans] deroff, pic
@ 2008-10-23 14:39 ` cej
From: cej @ 2008-10-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

2) Some suggestions to pic: a rounded rectangle (groff has an arc
attribute), lines to connect the ends of an arc to its effective
center (useful for making pie charts), a fill color attribute. Any
objections?

Would love to see it implemented. Please, consider also PS fill pattern.
Cross fingers,

++pac

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2368 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] deroff, pic
@ 2008-10-23 17:41   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-10-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It might also be worth pointing out that troff does just fine with `` and ''
as curly quotes, so there's not a lot of need to use the Unicode ones.
In fact, in the default fonts I find that the Unicode ones don't typeset
particularly well -- they are too compressed.

So a more complete solution is just not to use them.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] deroff, pic
@ 2008-10-23 21:06     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-10-23 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It might also be worth pointing out that troff does just fine with `` and ''
> as curly quotes, so there's not a lot of need to use the Unicode ones.
> In fact, in the default fonts I find that the Unicode ones don't typeset
> particularly well -- they are too compressed.
>
> So a more complete solution is just not to use them.

however, that's not a solution for documents which have used them.

and in theory, “ and ” have been specially crafted by the font designer,
taking into consideration all those fine details that require fonts to
be hand-crafted and not built by computers.  (knuth's cmrm font has
” at 042 and “ at 0134, the texbook, appendix f, p. 427.)

wouldn't the best fix for poorly designed fonts be ... a better font?
at least in theory.

- erik