* [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01  7:49 sml
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: sml @ 2022-02-01  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML pages. Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for example a way to convert Markdown? Since my intention would be a very simple blog, it would also be possible to just create the pages directly in HTML using acme.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01  7:58 ` Alex Musolino
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Musolino @ 2022-02-01  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML
> pages.  Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for
> example a way to convert Markdown?  Since my intention would be a
> very simple blog, it would also be possible to just create the pages
> directly in HTML using acme.

I do this sort of thing using the discount markdown processor
available at https://github.com/Orc/discount.

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01  8:12 ` igor
From: igor @ 2022-02-01  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth sml@firstpost.pub:
[…]
> I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML pages. Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for example a way to convert Markdown? Since my intention would be a very simple blog, it would also be possible to just create the pages directly in HTML using acme.
[…]

If you don't mind installing Go the Hugo⁽¹⁾ static site generator
supporting many themes⁽²⁾ is an option.  Here is a version that works
with Plan9 (only tested on 9front though):

• http://only9fans.com/igor/hugo/HEAD/info.html

…not sure if this fits your definition of 'Plan9 way'
though.

⁽¹⁾…https://gohugo.io
⁽²⁾…https://themes.gohugo.io

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01  9:32   ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2022-02-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this little monster of mine could be of interest to you:

https://github.com/sametsisartenep/mkweb

best,
-rodri

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022, 9:12 AM <igor@9lab.org> wrote:

> Quoth sml@firstpost.pub:
> […]
> > I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML pages.
> Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for example a way to
> convert Markdown? Since my intention would be a very simple blog, it would
> also be possible to just create the pages directly in HTML using acme.
> […]
>
> If you don't mind installing Go the Hugo⁽¹⁾ static site generator
> supporting many themes⁽²⁾ is an option.  Here is a version that works
> with Plan9 (only tested on 9front though):
>
> • http://only9fans.com/igor/hugo/HEAD/info.html
>
> …not sure if this fits your definition of 'Plan9 way'
> though.
>
> ⁽¹⁾…https://gohugo.io
> ⁽²⁾…https://themes.gohugo.io

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01 10:23     ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-02-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have multiple ways for different reasons:

My website is generated using static fragments and page fragments.

The blog however is a troff source that's converted to a static page
fragment. This way I can output a nice pdf too.

I made shithub.us/sirjofri/epublish which uses a markdown-like format for
text sources and outputs an ebook as pdf (via troff) and epub (custom
converter). You can look at the sources, they use awk to convert the
texts.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01 15:59 ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-02-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth sml@firstpost.pub:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML pages. Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for example a way to convert Markdown? Since my intention would be a very simple blog, it would also be possible to just create the pages directly in HTML using acme.
>
> Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

Personally, I use sam.

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-02-01 16:13 ` Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2022-02-01 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 1/31/22 23:49, sml@firstpost.pub wrote:
> I wanted to ask if there is a "Plan9 way" to create simple HTML pages.
> Would this possibly be doable with troff, or is there for example a way
> to convert Markdown?

This is not Plan 9 specific, but it sounds like pandoc could help you:
https://pandoc.org/

I generate my blog using a combination of Markdown files, HTML
templates, pandoc, and a shell script. pandoc can also convert from roff
formats, if you're keen to use that.

--
Ben Hancock
www.benghancock.com

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-01 16:20   ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-02-01 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth Ben Hancock <ben@benghancock.com>:
> This is not Plan 9 specific

Are you implying it runs on plan 9 at all?

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-02  6:31     ` sml
From: sml @ 2022-02-02  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you so much for all the good suggestions! I‘m going to test my way through them to find the one that works best for me.

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-02 16:01     ` Ben Hancock
From: Ben Hancock @ 2022-02-02 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2/1/22 08:20, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> Quoth Ben Hancock <ben@benghancock.com>:
>> This is not Plan 9 specific
>
> Are you implying it runs on plan 9 at all?

You're right - I should have clarified: I don't know whether pandoc runs
on Plan 9. I thought I would suggest just in case OP was looking at
tools from the Plan 9 user space and could consider other options that
run on other Unix-like systems.

* Re: [9fans] Create HTML pages
@ 2022-02-02 16:17       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2022-02-02 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)