* [9fans] octopus
@ 2007-03-25 22:20 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2007-03-25 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It´s been now for several weeks that I´ve been using octopus for working
at home. It´s a plan to be able to work on a Plan 9 like environment
from anywhere,
without carrying hardware around.

Basically, we maintain a single PC running a central name space and all apps,
and then dial to it to plug resources from remote hosts and to use it
from there.

Although by now it´s not much more than a bridge for several styx islands, for
use with poor latency links, it´s already useful.

Thus, I thought it might help to make it public as it is now. Of course, it´s on
development right now and changing every day. But anyway,
http://lsub.org/ls/octopus.html is the main page for the project.

http://lsub.org/sys/oman/index.html is the user manual for what we have built so
far, and http://code.google.com/p/theoctopus contains a svn rep. for the source
and dis binaries. I´ll put a script in place tomorrow to copy our most
recent working
copy to sources.

as usual, any comment, suggestion, or whatever is welcome.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-03-25 22:20 UTC | newest]