* [9fans] octopus distribution
@ 2008-04-30 12:47 Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2008-04-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

  there's a new octopus distribution at http://lsub.org/ls/octopus.html
It can be used, for example, as a way to use a remote Plan 9 machine
using any other system as a terminal.

The main tar ball includes Inferno with a pre-installed octopus and
a installation script so that it should be trivial to install and use it.

A tutorial can be found linked from the url above.

Programs included like omero, olive, oxport, etc. may be used without
using the rest of the octopus.

Also, a set of Plan 9 programs for use with the octopus are available
as a separate tar ball from the same url. This includes mouse redirectors
among other things.

Enjoy

* Re: [9fans] octopus distribution
@ 2008-05-01 12:09 ` a
From: a @ 2008-05-01 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've downloaded this new distribution and have been playing
around for about a day (much to the dismay of my growing
backlog of work tasks). It's very exciting; the wrappers around
the speech stuff on OS X are a nice touch.

I'd like to have as few copies of the base Inferno install lying
around as possible. It looks like osrc.tgz is safe to unpack
into a stock distribution, which is very good, but is that
everything? That is, is o.tgz exactly osrc.tgz + inferno-os?
Anthony

* Re: [9fans] octopus distribution
@ 2008-05-01 18:41   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-05-01 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

IIRC, unpacking just /dis/o should be enough.
There's a separate osrc.tgz at the same web page
where you took the distrib.

You could perhaps try to unpack that, or just copy it
from the one you got.

Also, there might be necessary to create some directory
in case a mount point is missing. If that's the case I'd like
to know to fix things up.

just FYI, we decided to pack the thing with inferno because
not all infernos out there are up to date, and we're depending
on some fixed modules.

cheers