From: "Francisco J Ballesteros" <nemo@lsub.org>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fossil+Venti on Linux
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 17:48:15 +0200	[thread overview]

> I believe the Plan B folks did some work with fail-over (amongst other
> things) that might be applicable. Beyond that, if you want to get what you

You could adapt Plan B's bns to fail over between different FSs. But...
We learned that although you can let he FS fail over nicely, many other
things stand in the way making it unnecessary to fail over. For example,
on Plan 9, cs and dns have problems after a fail over, your IP address
may change, etc. All that is to say that when you experience tolerance
to FS failures, you still face other things that do not fail over.

To tolerate failures what we do is to run venti on
a raid. If fossil gets corrupted somehow we'd just format the partition
using the last vac. To survive crashes of the machine with the venti we
copy its arenas to another machine, aso keeping a raid.

If you want clients to stay up during server crashes you could use
either bns or recover to pretend the FS is still there (blocked, but there)
while you reboot (or replace)
it.

hth