From: "Francisco J Ballesteros" <nemo@lsub.org>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] fd2path and devsrv
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:36:27 +0100	[thread overview]

The point is that you need a way for the chan to know how to reach the
file server.
At some point, IIRC, in 2nd ed. Plan B, the plan b kernel tried to maintain
the name (address) of the server for each chan and the relative path for the
file in the server.
Also, for some servers (eg. tarfs), you need the server to help by providing
the information regarding where is it (in many cases at the end of the pipe).

To make a long story short, following conventions so that the name space
was not too twisted made things easier for us. By looking to waht fd2path
says we could always go to /n/blah/... or recognize that the path
came from a particular device.

BTW, I´d love to hear other experiences regarding ns or path reconstruction.