* [9fans] usb/print problem since last update
@ 2009-10-13 17:31 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-10-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Last time I played with printing, was quite a while
before the last update to usb/print (apparently Sep.
25). And stuff worked back then.

Here's the output now:

cpu% usb/print
usb/print: startdevs: opening #0 /dev/usb/ep7.0
usb/print: /dev/usb/ep7.0: config: d2h data too large to fit in uhci
usb/print: no device found

and what does the ctl see?

cpu% cat /dev/usb/ep7.0/ctl
enabled control rw speed full maxpkt 8 pollival 0 samplesz 0 hz 0 hub
4 port 1 idle
255 csp 0x00ccff csp 0x020107 csp 0x00d4ff vid 0x03f0 did 0x4f11 HP
'Officejet 5600 series'

Using the backup, usb/_print from July 28, stuff still
works (there's a usable /dev/lp^$n device for printing
and no error).

Best,
ak

* Re: [9fans] usb/print problem since last update
@ 2009-10-13 17:34 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-10-13 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Have you updated your kernel?

We increased the size of the max ctl request in both the usb
library and also in usb[ueo]hci.c

You seem to have a new library but an old kernel. The library
is asking for more max size than the kernel can afford now.

I'm sorry, I should have teached the kernel how to cope with
old sizes. In the mean time, it's easier if you recompile your kernel.

@ 2009-10-13 17:51   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-10-13 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I haven't updated the kernels. Will do.

Furrthamoa...
With the old usb/print (and the old kernel stuff), I get this
each time I try to print:

cat: write error copying /tmp/pdf178624: request timed out

and there seems to be no way of shaking it.
Was this perhaps addressed in the latest kernel and tool
updates?

Thanks,

@ 2009-10-13 19:05     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-10-13 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think it should.
But let me know if the problem persists.

thanks

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Akshat Kumar

@ 2009-10-15  8:15       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-10-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I haven't been able to test printing yet, but with
the new Kernel and tools, my terminal needs to
be rebooted each time I disconnect and reconnect
the printer USB (or turn printer on/off, of course).
usb/print otherwise just says "no devices found".
On the other hand, regardless of however many
reboots I do, and when I plug in the printer,
usb/print *never* finds the printer on my CPU
server. I'm not sure if it has to do with the
different kernels or what... just have noticed this
distinction. Prior to these updates, I could unplug
and replug the printer without any hassle.

usbd is in the boot section of each kernel

@ 2009-10-15  8:34         ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-10-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Please, enable debug and send me the output
off-list.

thanks

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Akshat Kumar

@ 2009-10-17  3:31           ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-10-17  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It turns out, the problem was just a shoddy
USB port. Using another one, printer works
fine. Also, the old timeout bug is no longer
there.

Thanks for your fine work and all the tasty
fish, Francisco.

Best,
ak