* Re: [9fans] usbd and boot
       [not found] <<8ccc8ba40911121034m484fdd72qd2c246ecc67bfd28@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-11-12 21:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-12 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Nov 12 13:36:19 EST 2009, nemo@lsub.org wrote:
> I tried this on one machine and it worked.
> I'll keep trying to see if that's just that machine which works.
>
> I'd like to get debug output (usbdebug=2) for a machine hang.

last bit of output
uhci 0xc400 setting run to 1
uhci 0xc400 cmd 0x1 sts 0x0
uhci init: cmd 0x1 sts 0x0 sof 0x50 flb 0x5a000 frno 0x0 psc0 psc1 0x80

i added some debugging to determine that one actually finishes
the routine and returns to usbinit in devusb.c.  on my screen
i see hub 0, 1, 2, 3, 6 on my screen.  there's some stuff that's
scrolled off.

it appears to be hanging on a context switch or in an interrupt.
perhaps even an smi interrupt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] usbd and boot
@ 2009-11-12 21:33   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-11-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ok. thanks.
If I find out what's wrong I'll drop you a line a send a patch.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Thu Nov 12 13:36:19 EST 2009, nemo@lsub.org wrote:
>> I tried this on one machine and it worked.
>> I'll keep trying to see if that's just that machine which works.
>>
>> I'd like to get debug output (usbdebug=2) for a machine hang.
>
> last bit of output
> uhci 0xc400 setting run to 1
> uhci 0xc400 cmd 0x1 sts 0x0
> uhci init: cmd 0x1 sts 0x0 sof 0x50 flb 0x5a000 frno 0x0 psc0 psc1 0x80
>
> i added some debugging to determine that one actually finishes
> the routine and returns to usbinit in devusb.c.  on my screen
> i see hub 0, 1, 2, 3, 6 on my screen.  there's some stuff that's
> scrolled off.
>
> it appears to be hanging on a context switch or in an interrupt.
> perhaps even an smi interrupt.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] usbd and boot
@ 2009-11-12 18:34   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-11-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Thu Nov 12 11:46:36 EST 2009, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
>> > If I plug in a usb keyboard during boot, would I get to use
>> > it?  If so, how does it get accessed?
>>
>> yes.  you don't need to anything.  usdb starts kb which
>> attaches to kbin.
>
> i forgot to mention that low-speed only devices with
> intel chipsets tend to lock the machine up hard unless
> you disable legacy usb emulation in bios.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] usbd and boot
       [not found] <<a2a2d2ab168ba9a36dce4177c6234731@ladd.quanstro.net>
@ 2009-11-12 16:48 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-12 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <<Pine.BSI.4.64.0911112109360.13404@malasada.lava.net>
@ 2009-11-12 16:44 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-12 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If I plug in a usb keyboard during boot, would I get to use
> it?  If so, how does it get accessed?

yes.  you don't need to anything.  usdb starts kb which
attaches to kbin.

- erik

* [9fans] usbd and boot
@ 2009-11-12  7:12 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-11-12  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How does usbd interact with the boot process?  I noticed
that #u gets mounted on /dev and usbd gets run by the boot
process.  I don't see /srv/usb getting mounted on /dev (thats
where the devices appear, right?).

If I plug in a usb keyboard during boot, would I get to use
it?  If so, how does it get accessed?  If I plug in a usb
disk, can I use it as the root filesystem?  If so, what kind
of root spec would I need to use?

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com