here are the basics of what you need to implement needshumanquote. you will also need to add these prototypes to libc.h: int isspacerune(Rune); int isdigitrune(Rune); // recognizes (super|sub)script/indic/tamil/thai/... digits int digitrunevalue(Rune); // converts a rune to it's numeric value. -1 if not a digit. my utf tables are a little bit different than the distribution. i believe that most of the differences are due to the fact that i generated my tables from unicode-4.1. i'll be happy to submit a patch, if there's any interest. - erik