* [9fans] need intro to Plan9
@ 2004-12-24 18:44 Tom Simons
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Tom Simons @ 2004-12-24 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This list appears to be more for heavy-duty developer types, but here
goes anyway.

I liked what I read on the Plan9 site, so I made the boot disk & CD,
and installed it on a PC at work.  It boots to a prompt
"[local!#S/sdC01/fossil]:".  I hit enter and get another prompt "user
[none]:".  I type "glenda" and back comes a beautiful screen.  The
keyboard "Num Lock" light never turns off, and ctl-alt-del doesn't
work -  in fact, all key  combinations that I've tried just print some
char on the screen.  I'm navigating clumsily - it'd be great to watch
an experienced user on this system, so I could find out about basic
stuff like command prompts,  system info (I like the running graphic
display, but would also like "ps -ef"), networking, and then be able
to add new users and telnet/ssh to our other machines.

I assume that a single PC running everything (file server, cpu &
terminal - right?) is not exploiting Plan9.  Are there any How-To's
about migrating to 3-4 PC's?  I've got the machines and there are
other people here who would jump in to help.

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
@ 2004-12-24 18:54 ` andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom.simons, 9fans

check the man pages for rio, acme and 'rc' (the shell).  on the
plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist site there is a wiki with a link to
unix->plan9 command translation, it will tell you about most of the
things you're used to, like for example the fact that 'ps' is just
'ps' and doesn't have -auwxef options (nor does it have sysv
compatibility :)

the rio session for glenda should start with a pretty detailed intro
to the gui (the yellow acme window).

the wiki has information about setting up networks.  you can always
ask here too.

andrey (who needs to get back to cooking :)

> This list appears to be more for heavy-duty developer types, but here
> goes anyway.
>
> I liked what I read on the Plan9 site, so I made the boot disk & CD,
> and installed it on a PC at work.  It boots to a prompt
> "[local!#S/sdC01/fossil]:".  I hit enter and get another prompt "user
> [none]:".  I type "glenda" and back comes a beautiful screen.  The
> keyboard "Num Lock" light never turns off, and ctl-alt-del doesn't
> work -  in fact, all key  combinations that I've tried just print some
> char on the screen.  I'm navigating clumsily - it'd be great to watch
> an experienced user on this system, so I could find out about basic
> stuff like command prompts,  system info (I like the running graphic
> display, but would also like "ps -ef"), networking, and then be able
> to add new users and telnet/ssh to our other machines.
>
> I assume that a single PC running everything (file server, cpu &
> terminal - right?) is not exploiting Plan9.  Are there any How-To's
> about migrating to 3-4 PC's?  I've got the machines and there are
> other people here who would jump in to help.

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
@ 2004-12-24 18:55 ` andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom.simons, 9fans

oh, something else -- plan9 has relatively few users who are not
developers (it's research-oriented after all).  this list acts both as
an advocacy and a development one, though there is a plan9dev list at
google.

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
@ 2004-12-24 19:01 ` Russ Cox
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-12-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Simons, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I liked what I read on the Plan9 site, so I made the boot disk & CD,
> and installed it on a PC at work.  It boots to a prompt
> "[local!#S/sdC01/fossil]:".  I hit enter and get another prompt "user
> [none]:".  I type "glenda" and back comes a beautiful screen.  The
> keyboard "Num Lock" light never turns off, and ctl-alt-del doesn't
> work -  in fact, all key  combinations that I've tried just print some
> char on the screen.  I'm navigating clumsily - it'd be great to watch
> an experienced user on this system, so I could find out about basic
> stuff like command prompts,  system info (I like the running graphic
> display, but would also like "ps -ef"), networking, and then be able
> to add new users and telnet/ssh to our other machines.

What does the beautiful screen look like?
Usually the screen looks like http://swtch.com/plan9install.png
which has instructions on the screen about learning to move
around in rio (the window manager) and acme (the yellow
text editor).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 17:18 ` andrey mirtchovski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
   then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
   brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and
   allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
   lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
   15 minutes more.
Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil,
   then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely)
   and season well.
Place in a large bowl and cool.
Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy,
   enough to make the mixture pliable.
Divide the stuffing a

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 17:40 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown the meat in a little olive oil,
   then add onions, peppers, and celery (all chopped finely)
   and season well.
Place in a large bowl and cool.
Add seasoned breadcrumbs and a little of the tomato gravy,
   enough to make the mixture pliable.
Divide the stuffing among the cabbage leaves then roll.
Place seam down in a baking pan.
Ladle tomato gravy on top,
   and bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.

Umbilical Cordon Bleu

Nothing is so beautiful as the bond between mother and child,
so why not consume it?
Children or chicken breasts will work wonderfully also.

4 whole umbilical chords (or baby breasts, or chicken breasts)
4 thin slices of smoked ham, and Gruyere cheese
Flour
eggwash (milk and eggs)
seasoned bread crumbs
1 onion
minced
salt
pepper
butter
olive oil

Pound the breasts flat (parboil first if using umbilical
   cords so they won?t be tough).
Place a slice of ham and cheese on each, along with some minced onion
   then fold in half, trimming neatly.
Dredge in flour, eggwash, then seasoned breadcrumbs;
   allow to sit for a few minutes.
Sauté in butter and olive oil until golden brown,
   about 6 minutes on each side.

Shish Kab

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 22:27 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-25 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

tightly -
      corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
      wrap till remaining corner is left.
   Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
   a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
   325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
   Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Lemon Neonate

Turkey serves just as well, and in fact even looks a bit like a
well-dressed baby. By the time you turn the child?s breast into
cutlets, it will be indistinguishable. The taste of young human,
although similar to turkey (and chicken) often can be wildly
different depending upon what he or she has consumed during its
10 to 14 months of life...

4 well chosen cutlets (from the breasts of 2 healthy neonates)
2 large lemons (fresh lemons always, if possible)
Olive oil
Green onions
Salt
pepper
cornstarch
neonate stock (chicken, or turkey stock is fine)
garlic
parsley
fresh cracked black pepper

Season and sauté the cutlets in olive oil till golden brown, remove.
Add the garlic and onions and cook down a bit.
Add some lemon juice and some zest, then de-glaze with stock.
Add a little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) to the sauce.
You are just about there, Pour the sauce over the cutlets,
   top with parsley, lemon slices and cracked pepper.
Serve with spinach salad, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and iced tea...

Spaghetti with Real Italian Meatballs

If you don?t have an expendable bambino on h

* Re: [9fans] need intro to Plan9
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-25 23:07 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-12-25 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)