From: Don <north_@www.7f.no-ip.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re: Booting with a NE2000 clone hangs
Date: Tue,  9 Apr 2002 09:17:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Holly Olson <hdolso@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:<3CAFFFB0.EF271F3A@bellatlantic.net>...
> Any ideas are suggestions where I may be messing up?
Well, I dont quite think its you. I've had a couple experiences
with ne2000 clones where they boot and the OS actually _sees_
the card, yet, the card cannot even be probed or written to/
read from. (i.e. aux/pcmcia '#y/pcmXattr or writing to the data
file). The issue seems to be conflicting IRQ assignments in
the BIOS. My solution was to boot to the laptop's configuration
session and disable possibly conflicting devices. For me its
usually audio, which is cool since I don't use it except on
the CPU server. Unfortunately, for ne2000 clones, attempting
to adjust the IRQ via plan9.ini seems to make the boot code
ignore the card altogether (at least in my experience :).
Good luck & let me know if u find another solution,
Don
north_@www.7f.no-ip.com
http://www.7f.no-ip.info/