* [9fans] slow video fix
@ 2002-05-01 14:21 Russ Cox
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-01 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you are suffering from problems with very slow
video, try taking usb and usbuhci out of your kernel
config file.

we think that a mismatch between some usb devices
and our driver is causing the usb cards to eat
all the bus bandwidth, which makes any bus
intensive operation (e.g., video memory writes)
really slow.

removing usb fixes the problem on our test machine.
if it doesn't fix your problems, please let us know
(mail 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com).

we'll put out a new boot floppy and release package
with this and the other accrued vga fixes once we
resolve this.

russ

* [9fans] /mail/lib/rewrite
@ 2002-05-01 16:41 ` Pat Hacker
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pat Hacker @ 2002-05-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I did not see this in the archives but it may have been mentioned
previously,
/mail/lib/rewrite.direct and rewrite.gateway seem to be missing in 4e.
Could someone post those? Thanks.
Pat

* Re: [9fans] slow video fix
@ 2002-05-02  9:30 ` peter huang
From: peter huang @ 2002-05-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Could we have the serial mouse support back in the new floppy and package
please?

thanks
-peter

"Russ Cox" <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote in message
> if you are suffering from problems with very slow
> video, try taking usb and usbuhci out of your kernel
> config file.
>
> we think that a mismatch between some usb devices
> and our driver is causing the usb cards to eat
> all the bus bandwidth, which makes any bus
> intensive operation (e.g., video memory writes)
> really slow.
>
> removing usb fixes the problem on our test machine.
> if it doesn't fix your problems, please let us know
> (mail 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com).
>
> we'll put out a new boot floppy and release package
> with this and the other accrued vga fixes once we
> resolve this.
>
> russ

* Re: [9fans] slow video fix
@ 2002-05-02  9:30 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> we think that a mismatch between some usb devices
> and our driver is causing the usb cards to eat
> all the bus bandwidth, which makes any bus
> intensive operation (e.g., video memory writes)
> really slow.

Yup, recompiling on a usb-less config totally did
the trick. Video is back to normal speed. Congrats
and thanks, everyone! Looking forward to the usb
fix,
Don
http://www.7f.no-ip.info/

* Re: [9fans] slow video fix
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-05-02  9:30 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-05-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On another note removing USB fixes all my previous
problems as well as one I had last night. Writes
to the main hard drive were timing out. No prob
anymore, though! I don't even need to set dma/rwm
on in the disk ctl anymore. Cool.
Don

* initial field report (was Re: [9fans] slow video fix)
@ 2002-05-02 12:38   ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-05-02 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Don wrote:
> On another note removing USB fixes all my previous
> problems as well as one I had last night. Writes
> to the main hard drive were timing out.

Hmm... Could that also explain the following:
When I installed on my home system(*)
I got three read errors during copydist,
where the plan9.iso was a file on a cd
(I tried to 'burn image' with 'ahead nero 5' (?)
 software on windows, but it mumbled something
 about 'relocating...' followed by 'error, press ok')
I could read the cd without problem while installing
on a toshiba tecra 8000 laptop.
Hmm. both home system and laptop have usb...

Field report:

tecra 8000 laptop installed OK, apart from a known
problem present in 3rd ed. where switching to external
or external+internal monitor does not work. I'll send
details later in a separate message.

(*) 450 Mhz pentium 3, creative dvd player Nvidia 3400 TNT
installed OK, apart from the mentioned read problem,
and I no longer find the ISA modem card - old config lines
seem not to detect it. Wrt the read problem,
I copied the truncated files (/386/bin/^(gs gzip gunzip)
by hand. Simply removing them and re-invoking copydist
didn't work (looking at the dist source I understand why).

Wrt. the fs cpu/auth network, I started following forsyth's
instructions; the fs now runs the 4th ed. kernel,and I can
access it from the standalone 4th ed. laptop and from 3rd ed.
cpu/auth server; I hope to have time to install the 4th ed.
files on the fs and convert the cpu/auth server this afternoon...

So far things went pretty smoothly; thanks/congratulations!!
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] slow video fix
@ 2002-05-02 14:58 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> anymore, though! I don't even need to set dma/rwm
> on in the disk ctl anymore. Cool.

It will still run faster if you do.

* Re: [9fans] slow video fix
@ 2002-05-02 13:31 jmk
From: jmk @ 2002-05-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu May  2 05:47:11 EDT 2002, peter_huang@hp.com wrote:
> Could we have the serial mouse support back in the new floppy and package
> please?
>
> thanks
> -peter

I intend to work on a temporary re-instatement today. Temporary in the
usual sense - there has to be better way to do this, but this will do until
we find out what it is.

--jim