* [9fans] Venti arenas question.
@ 2003-03-27  2:54 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-27  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The Setting up a Venti document on the Wiki mentions concatenating lots
of smaller arenas into a single large log space.  Okay, if I have a big
disk (say, a couple of mirrored 150GB IDE drives), why would I want to
split my log space up into small arenas?  Would it be easier to just
create a single, really big arena and not worry about smaller ones?
I'm sure there's a logical answer, but I'm not aware of what it is.

Also, are there plans to add a read cache to Fossil anytime soon?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Venti arenas question.
@ 2003-03-27  2:58 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-03-27  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There's a difference between arenas and
arena partitions.  There's no reason not to
use a single big arena partition:

--rw-r----- S 0 rsc rsc 16727702528 Mar 25 21:54 /dev/sdC0/v.arenas

Internally, Venti will chop it into smallish
arenas in units suitable for backup to tape
or CD-ROM.  The default is 500MB.  If you
are planning to back up to CD-ROM you might
want to use 650MB or so.

Read the Venti paper for more.  /sys/doc/venti/venti.ps

* Re: [9fans] Venti arenas question.
@ 2003-03-27  2:58 ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2003-03-27  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:54:52PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
> The Setting up a Venti document on the Wiki mentions concatenating lots
> of smaller arenas into a single large log space.  Okay, if I have a big
> disk (say, a couple of mirrored 150GB IDE drives), why would I want to
> split my log space up into small arenas?  Would it be easier to just
> create a single, really big arena and not worry about smaller ones?
> I'm sure there's a logical answer, but I'm not aware of what it is.

Well for one, so you can copy small pieces off onto DVDs.