From: technofiend@my-deja.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Compaq Prof. Wkstn. 5000 and Plan 9
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:49:29 +0000	[thread overview]

I have a Compaq 5000 Professional Workstation with dual Pentium
Pro II CPUs and internal SCSI and IDE adaptors.

Solaris 8 installation proved problematic because Solaris could
not see my SCSI drive despite DOS and Windows 98 doing so.

Now it seems Plan 9 has the same problem.  Using Compaq's
inspect, it appeared the IDE controller was IRQ 15, and
the Network, SCSI controller and Matrox all shared IRQ 11.

Fiddling with things, I managed to get all devices onto seperate
IRQs, but pickdisk still fails with "No disk devices were found
on your system."

Plan 9 appears to recognise the controller because it prints
dev A0 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0103 dma 00000001 rwm 0
sd53c8xx: SYM53C875 rev. 0x03 intr=10 command=2000157
at boot time, and also "sd53c8xx: differential mode set" 16 times,
suggesting once for each target since it is a wide controller.

I have set debug=1 in the plan9.ini as the troubleshooting manual
suggests, but it didn't help much.

Pressing Control-R at boot time does not appear to generate
any extra debugging information for the SCSI probing.

Since my CDROM is IDE and my hard drive is SCSI, is plan 9 perhaps
finding the CDROM first and assuming my hard drive must be
IDE also?

The CDROM can be removed from the system, but there is no way
to disable the IDE controller on the motherboard. Setting
boot order in the BIOS setup and specifying the SCSI hard drive
did not help.

Any suggestions other than finding an IDE hard drive and connecting
it in place of the CDROM?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.