* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-20 13:15 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: altine, 9fans

At first glance, the ethernet address in

ip=163.118.134.2 ether=00A0C96C95DB sys=neron
        dom=neron.se.fit.edu
        proto=il

should be lower case.  However, that's not your
immediate problem.  It looks like IP isn't started
up before dns is in /rc/bin/cpurc.  Our standard
cpurc doesn't do that since we normally run our
cpu servers off a stand-alone netowrk file server.

Try changing the ether address to lower case and adding

ip/ipconfig

before where ndb/cs and/ndb/dns are started in the cpurc
file.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-21  8:41 ` altineller
From: altineller @ 2000-06-21  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	hello;

	I've changed the ethernet address to lower case, and added ip/ipconfig
to /rc/bin/cpurc.

	The problem persists. In a default installation does the cpurc or
termrc execute? Mine is a default machine, and this is a default
install. I have not been able to understand why this is not working.

	any help/ideas/recommendations appreciated.

	thanks.

	-C.Altineller

> At first glance, the ethernet address in
>
> ip=163.118.134.2 ether=00A0C96C95DB sys=neron
>         dom=neron.se.fit.edu
>         proto=il
>
> should be lower case.  However, that's not your
> immediate problem.  It looks like IP isn't started
> up before dns is in /rc/bin/cpurc.  Our standard
> cpurc doesn't do that since we normally run our
> cpu servers off a stand-alone netowrk file server.
>
> Try changing the ether address to lower case and adding
>
> ip/ipconfig
>
> before where ndb/cs and/ndb/dns are started in the cpurc
> file.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-21  9:18   ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2000-06-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

altineller@my-deja.com wrote:

> 	I've changed the ethernet address to lower case, and added ip/ipconfig
> to /rc/bin/cpurc.

> 	The problem persists. In a default installation does the cpurc or
> termrc execute? Mine is a default machine, and this is a default
> install. I have not been able to understand why this is not working.

> 	any help/ideas/recommendations appreciated.

	In default installation, termrc started first, and cpurc does not
	seem to be started at all. Reading man init did not help me to know
	where is this script's name defined . Init starts rc, rc interprets
	termrc, but how do I make rc run cpurc instead, should I wish ?

--
mwg@alkar.net

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-21 14:17     ` Steve Kotsopoulos
From: Steve Kotsopoulos @ 2000-06-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wladimir Mutel wrote:
> > 	The problem persists. In a default installation does the cpurc or
> > termrc execute? Mine is a default machine, and this is a default
> > install. I have not been able to understand why this is not working.

After installing, you have a plan9 terminal; so /rc/bin/termrc is executed

> 	In default installation, termrc started first, and cpurc does not
> 	seem to be started at all. Reading man init did not help me to know
> 	where is this script's name defined . Init starts rc, rc interprets
> 	termrc, but how do I make rc run cpurc instead, should I wish ?

see cpurc(8), init(8) and boot(8), paying attention to $service

Boot is the first program run after a kernel has been loaded.
If this is a terminal kernel, it sets /env/service to terminal
If this is a cpuserver kernel, it sets /env/service to cpu

On a terminal, boot completes by exec'ing /$objtype/init -t
On a cpuserver, it exec's /$objtype/init -c
This causes init to run termrc or cpurc

Also look at the switch statement in /usr/glenda/lib/profile
to see how $service is used when a user logs in.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-21 15:58       ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2000-06-21 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Steve Kotsopoulos <steve@nevex.com> wrote:

> see cpurc(8), init(8) and boot(8), paying attention to $service

	Oh, thanks for your explaination . It is not easy for me to
	navigate through these mans at the beginning.

> Boot is the first program run after a kernel has been loaded.
> If this is a terminal kernel, it sets /env/service to terminal
> If this is a cpuserver kernel, it sets /env/service to cpu

> On a terminal, boot completes by exec'ing /$objtype/init -t
> On a cpuserver, it exec's /$objtype/init -c
> This causes init to run termrc or cpurc

	Thank you, I read all related mans and now understand booting process
	some better. But in order to set 'service', do we need to rebuild
	the kernel or we may simply write this setting in plan9.ini ?

> Also look at the switch statement in /usr/glenda/lib/profile
> to see how $service is used when a user logs in.

	And to help the beginner, is there any way to restart only
	terminal server and log on as another user, without rebooting the
	complete system ?

	Thanks in advance for your answers. :>

--
mwg@alkar.net

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-21 17:09         ` Steve Kotsopoulos
From: Steve Kotsopoulos @ 2000-06-21 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Wladimir Mutel wrote:
> > On a terminal, boot completes by exec'ing /$objtype/init -t
> > On a cpuserver, it exec's /$objtype/init -c
> > This causes init to run termrc or cpurc
>
> 	Thank you, I read all related mans and now understand booting process
> 	some better. But in order to set 'service', do we need to rebuild
> 	the kernel or we may simply write this setting in plan9.ini ?

If you wanted to change this, you'd have to modify the kernel source.
I really can't understand why you'd want to change it, though
as you'll likely break things farther down the chain.

Look at /sys/src/9/pc/main.c, you'll find:

                if(cpuserver)
                        ksetenv("service", "cpu");
                else
                        ksetenv("service", "terminal");

The value of cpuserver gets set in the kernel config file,
/sys/src/9/pc/pc or /sys/src/9/pc/pccpu

> 	And to help the beginner, is there any way to restart only
> 	terminal server and log on as another user, without rebooting the
> 	complete system ?

no, you must reboot the terminal to login as a different user

the terminal's username (and their password) is prompted for by boot(8)
and then used to connect to the fileserver.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
@ 2000-06-22  8:40           ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2000-06-22  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Steve Kotsopoulos <steve@nevex.com> wrote:

>> 	And to help the beginner, is there any way to restart only
>> 	terminal server and log on as another user, without rebooting the
>> 	complete system ?

> no, you must reboot the terminal to login as a different user

> the terminal's username (and their password) is prompted for by boot(8)
> and then used to connect to the fileserver.

	Sounds sad at all. So if I want to keep file server running and
	terminal server restarted independently, I must place them on
	separate physical hosts ? :<

--
mwg@alkar.net

* Re: [9fans] plan9 networking trouble.
       [not found] <200006201309.JAA20667@yacht.ee.fit.edu>
@ 2000-06-20 15:45 ` Can Altineller
From: Can Altineller @ 2000-06-20 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: presotto; +Cc: 9fans

	hello;

	I've fixed the ethernet address thing. my /rc/bin/termrc and
/rc/bin/cpurc was untouched. I've added ip/ipconfig before ndb/cs and
ndb/dns -r in cpurc, and I still get the same problem. On the other hand,
ip/ipconfig executes before ndb/dns and after ndb/cs in /rc/bin/termrc.

	is there any way to debug this problem?

	This is a default installation, and I have not changed anything.

	Thanks for your help.

	-C.Altineller

@ 2000-06-20  8:46 altine
From: altine @ 2000-06-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

        Hello All;

        I've installed Plan9 without much trouble, and I love it.
However I still did not get the networking done properly. I've read the
manuals, and old postings that dealt with the same problem, and created
a /lib/ndb/local accordingly but still could not succeed. This seems
like real problem.

        Here is my network: I have a standalone plan9 box with IP of
163.118.134.2 with fqdn of neron.se.fit.edu. we are in
163.118.134.0/255.255.255.0 network and the dns server for us is
163.118.5.4. the domain name for all the machines in 163.118.134.0
network is se.fit.edu.

        I've written the following /lib/ndb/local file:

database=
        file=/lib/ndb/local
        file=/lib/ndb/common

ip=163.118.134.2 ether=00A0C96C95DB sys=neron
        dom=neron.se.fit.edu
        proto=il

ipnet=se-fit-edu ip=163.118.134.0 ipmask=255.255.255.0
        ipgw=163.118.134.254
        dns=163.118.5.4

when the machine boots, I get:

ndb/dns: can't read my ip address. and I get no networking. My network
card is a eepro100 and during bootup it is recognized, and I've used
ip/ipconfig tool like ifconfig to up the interface, and successfully
telnetted out, but /lib/nds/local seems useless for my case.

        any ideas/help/recomendation appreciated.

        thanks.

        -C.Altineller