From: Wladimir Mutel <mwg@alkar.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] cpu/file/terminal server of my dream
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:01:45 +0000	[thread overview]

	Greetings,

	Suppose I have basic Plan9 setup (9pcdisk).
	I log on to its terminal server under my own user name.

	How then do I give my file- and cpu-services to my unix colleagues,
	provided they have 9term and wish to connect to my host to know some
	more about Plan9 ?

	How then do I make a secure file server of my local harddisk (with
	some use restrictions for disk/kfscmd)? Now anybody can log on locally to
	terminal server under any name and make anything with local filesystem
	with kfscmd ! Nothing similar is observed for any unix installation,
	why is it so insecure under Plan9 ?

	I know I need to rebuild a kernel, but among different kernel
	configurations I did not find one I want.
	Really, what if I do not want, or simply am unable, to dedicate spare
	headless machine for file serving (for example, since not having one) ?

	I just have a strongest wish for single host to be file and cpu
	server at the same time, and to become also a terminal server
	whenever whoever wants to log on it locally (like X-server with xdm).
	(and to log off it by stopping terminal server but keeping cpu and
	file servers running). Is this my wish unreal under Plan9 ? May be
	I should drop my sick enthusiasm and turn back to longly familiar unix?

	Please explain me the Plan9 reality and may be help a little to
	clear my thoughts.

--
mwg@alkar.net