If you are using fossil, use sdC0!9fat!9pccpuf with the right file in 9fat. I can find no ability in 9load to get a kernel from a fossil partition. There does still seem to be an ability to boot from a kfs partition calles 'fs'. 9load does not seem to have forgotten how to do that. Perhaps the confusion is that we now use fossil as the default file system and people are expecting 9load to load kernels from it due to kfs instructions in the wiki? The wiki is always out of date. As far as I can tell it is a 'fire and forget' document. Read it with a grain of salt.