* [9fans] cpu/auth/file servers
@ 2014-11-19 13:18 Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-11-19 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've had some success setting up and using plan9 standalone and I have
moved on to trying a networked configuration.

Following the instructions I have set up a combined  cpu/auth server,
and a terminal booting with PXE.

When I boot my terminal it asks for my username (no password) and
starts rio. I can then access my home directory as read-only. I then
run 'cpu', which asks me for a password, and then I can write  my
files.

This doesn't seem right and I think the problem is that I don't really
understand how it's supposed to work. The terminal needs to see the
cpu's filesystem because that's where its root filesystem is coming
from but it shouldn't be able to get to files in /usr/ without a
password, surely. I've used X terminals in the past and I suppose I am
expecting some sort of XDMCP prompt like that.

Can anyone enlighten me or point to the appropriate place in the docs?

Thanks very much,
Pete