From: mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Hello (ScanMail has removed a file due to security reasons)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:00:42 -0700	[thread overview]

You know, all these messages telling you that somebody has sent a virus using your address as a From:, that the virus was type Blah-N.32½, that the file was removed and that the best antivirus program is the one sending you that message remind me of D. Adams' beeping intergalactic spaceship computers... You know, the ones that beep when they complete an instruction.

There should really be:

beep, v.

	35.  To incessantly inform non-caring parties of completing a
	function.  See "we have removed your message because it
	contains a virus".

	"Pity," said Ford, "I was hoping you could remind me.  I
	really hate those guys you know.  They really are the creeps
	of the cosmos, buzzing around the celestial infinite with
	their junky little machines that never work properly or, when
	they do, perform functions that no sane man would require of
	them and," he added savagely, "go beep to tell you when
	they've done it!"

	"The computer beeped tunelessly to indicate that it had
	finished its calculations.  "Folfanga," it said.  It beeped.
	"Fourth world of the Folfanga system," it continued.  It
	beeped again.  "Estimated journey time, three weeks," it
	continued further.  It beeped again.  "There to meet with a
	small slug," it beeped, "of the genus A-Rth-Urp-Hil-Ipdenu."
	"I believe," it added, after a slight pause during which it
	beeped, "that you had decided to call it a brainless prat."