* [9fans] Acme IRC Basic SASL Support
@ 2021-02-21  1:21 Connor Taffe
From: Connor Taffe @ 2021-02-21  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I took Russ’s Irc client at https://swtch.com/irc/ <https://swtch.com/irc/> and added enough SASL PLAIN
support to access Freenode so that I could use it as my IRC client.

It’s available at https://github.com/cptaffe/airc <https://github.com/cptaffe/airc>.

I documented the flow as best I could in this commit <https://github.com/cptaffe/airc/commit/d5aa833e6f6f874e664f938ab619aac30ae55f77> , and I’d appreciate constructive
feedback on how to improve the implementation or add more comprehensive SASL support.
My initial idea was to support CertFP, but I had difficulty getting tlsClient in libsec to work,
and reading through the code I’m not sure it supports sending the client certificate
(there’s a bit which indicates it always sends an empty cert).

Another peculiarity is that mk all fails with a symbol error because it builds Irc.o and irc.o
from irc.c on macOS, I believe this is to do with case-insensitivity in Apple’s FS. To get
around this, just run the 9l command by hand without Irc.o.

After mk install, running "Irc -n nick -p passed irc.freenode.net <http://irc.freenode.net/>" should attempt SASL PLAIN.

Speaking of IRC, is there a plan9port IRC channel?