* [9fans] vmware oddity (Fusion on Mac OS X)
@ 2009-08-18 14:20 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just fired up my plan 9 image in VMWare, and I noticed that gnot is showing
a large amount of interrupts, and then the whole tracking of the system
interrupts goes to nothing, the mouse stops working, and things are
generally frozen.
However, the odd bit is at one point time seemed to speed up and gnot went
"really fast", before freezing again.

anyone experienced this?  It just unfroze again, but "l" "i" "s" and "c" on
gnot are totally pegged. :-(

Dave

* Re: [9fans] vmware oddity (Fusion on Mac OS X)
@ 2009-08-18 14:26 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

now i am getting repeated soverflow for fx->in messages repeatedly.

@ 2009-08-18 14:32   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Aug 18 10:28:44 EDT 2009, leimy2k@gmail.com wrote:

> now i am getting repeated soverflow for fx->in messages repeatedly.

it sounds like the interrupt handler takes long enough that
there is no time to process the incoming frames.

i wonder, are you running venti?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] vmware oddity (Fusion on Mac OS X)
@ 2009-08-18 14:44     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-08-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> On Tue Aug 18 10:28:44 EDT 2009, leimy2k@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > now i am getting repeated soverflow for fx->in messages repeatedly.
> >

> it sounds like the interrupt handler takes long enough that
> there is no time to process the incoming frames.
>
> i wonder, are you running venti?

I am, and venti took a long time to start at boot this time around.  I
suppose I should just run fossil in vmware.

@ 2009-08-18 14:49       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > it sounds like the interrupt handler takes long enough that
> > there is no time to process the incoming frames.
> >
> > i wonder, are you running venti?
>

> I am, and venti took a long time to start at boot this time around.  I
> suppose I should just run fossil in vmware.

well, there are a couple of things that should be done
- the ethernet driver bug should be fixed
- venti should be shown how to use a pipe instead of tcp.

but, i think if you configure a proper loopback using
loopbackmedium rather than going through your virtual
ethernet controller, that might just fix the problem.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] vmware oddity (Fusion on Mac OS X)
@ 2009-08-20 18:10         ` james toy
From: james toy @ 2009-08-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was just actually about to post about this. I have yet to find a
fix; however, it seems its after the multiplex code and can be found
here

<link>
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/pc/devether.c?v=PLAN9#L202
</link>

I am not running venti; I am only running fossil.  I don't think that
is related in light of the fact we are running both options and its
happening on both.  I get the behavior after i put in my aescbc key
before rio.  I also get a whole bunch of download failed and see faces
freaking out as its trying to interact with my GMail.  I only get this
on updating or downloading my emails on first boot.

I am going to continue to look into it.

james toy

@ 2009-08-20 19:46           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-08-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> <link>
> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/pc/devether.c?v=PLAN9#L202
> </link>

you may wish to give "standard" (at least to 9fans) links
to code, e.g:

	/sys/src/9/pc/devether.c:202

you would probablly benefit from removing the print statements.
they're potentially going to make the problem much worse.
/net/ether0/stats will have the statistic so it can be tracked there
without printing on each error.

i would imagine snoopy would be informative.

- erik