From: Rahul Murmuria <rahul.is.also@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] /net different from sockets, but better?
Date: Fri,  6 Feb 2009 22:13:08 -0500	[thread overview]

I am planning on porting the /net concept of Plan9 to Linux.

My Plan:
Use libfs[1] to write a synthetic filesystem in Linux, much like
securityfs[2], or /proc. This libfs based code will make calls to the TCP/IP
stack on the linux, and basically be an alternative to the Linux kernel
sockets. As a result I will expose networking using /net, instead of POSIX
to the applications.

My Motivation:
Glendix[3]

My Question:
I know that using /net instead of sockets is very different. But is it
better? Specially from the networking side of things, not from application
development point of view (which we have already established is simpler, by
example).

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/57369/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/153366/
[3] http://glendix.org/   and   http://glendix.org/glendix_iwp9_2008.pdf