Hi Devon! On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote: > > Are you a student? This kind of stuff has interested me quite a bit in > Plan 9 (though more from a packet classification standpoint -- read: > firewalling), and it seems like a nifty project for GSoC. > Yes, I am a student. I qualify for GSoC but I was planning not to apply, as from where I see it, that brings in restrictions to the independence of thought. I am open to applying though, if this is a good enough (and small enough) idea for SoC. > As far as I'm aware, there is nothing similar to the OSPF/BGP/RIP > support directly in Plan 9. I am pretty sure Charles has written a RIP > daemon that is in sources somewhere. > /net on routers is something I have wanted for sometime now too. I am a member of the Glendix project (http://www.glendix.org) and have discussed the same ideas for Glendix recently. I was told that Inferno has ventured into such waters before. Are you sure there in no information on anyone trying Plan 9 on/as a Router? > --Devon > > @ Mauro On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM, J.R. Mauro wrote: > RIP is fairly simplistic, I wonder if Plan 9 exposes enough > information via /net to actually implement OSPF. You need to know > load-balancing, bandwidth and "distance" metrics that RIP doesn't care > about. I am willing to explore this area. Maybe if /net reaches every router, such metrics can be retrieved and exchanged between the routers like other router OSes do (or maybe better than they already do) ? I am planning to understand JUNOS using the documentation on their website, but I am not sure if I want to go though the CCNA books for Cisco IOS like you recommended. I have hardly any prior experience in the area, but initial design info finds me inclining towards JUNOS more. -- Rahul Murmuria