* [9fans] Ethernet card recogition -- Farallon Enet (3C589) -- kernel lines?
@ 2009-01-05 17:35 James Deagle
From: James Deagle @ 2009-01-05 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am having trouble getting Plan 9 to recognize my ethernet card in my
embarrassingly old Dell laptop. The card is a Farallon Enet, which to the
best of my knowledge would be a "3C589" type for the purposes of plan9.ini.
I have tried some variations in plan9.ini, such as ether0=type=3C589 or
etherX=3C589, as well as rendering 3C589 as "3c589", but to no avail.

According to the Plan9 wiki, the above results indicate that recognition for
this card isn't built into the kernel, which leads me to my main question:

What modification(s), if any, would I need to make to the kernel config file
(9pcf)? This card type is referenced under the "link" section, but would I
also need to reference it under dev, or modify the line "ether   netif" in
that section?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. This is my second
run at making my laptop a fully-functioning Plan 9 machine, and while I've
become quite comfortable with basic usage of this OS, I'm still something of
a newbie at the under-the-hood stuff. I'm looking forward to trying Plan 9
as my full-time OS, and I certainly appreciate any help in getting there.

Cheers,
James

* Re: [9fans] Ethernet card recogition -- Farallon Enet (3C589) -- kernel lines?
@ 2009-01-05 21:08 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-05 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> According to the Plan9 wiki, the above results indicate that recognition for
> this card isn't built into the kernel, which leads me to my main question:

alternately, the card was not detected.

> What modification(s), if any, would I need to make to the kernel config file
> (9pcf)? This card type is referenced under the "link" section, but would I
> also need to reference it under dev, or modify the line "ether   netif" in
> that section?

no, you just need to add it in the link section.  the dev section is for
devices and some special magic turns "fu" in the device section into
a request to compile devfu.c into devfu.8 and does what's required
to link the device into devtab.  the stuff in the link section is just
called at boot time.  addetherdevice is the hook to link controllers.
which are then called back by the ethernet device when it's ready.

the ether netif line declares a device devether that requires the
netif support file.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Ethernet card recogition -- Farallon Enet (3C589) -- kernel
@ 2009-01-06 20:09 ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2009-01-06 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am having trouble getting Plan 9 to recognize my ethernet card in my
> embarrassingly old Dell laptop. The card is a Farallon Enet, which to the
> best of my knowledge would be a "3C589" type for the purposes of plan9.ini.
> I have tried some variations in plan9.ini, such as ether0=type=3C589 or
> etherX=3C589, as well as rendering 3C589 as "3c589", but to no avail.

I, too, am using a Dell laptop, but with a genuine 3c589.  It's working
fine.  After a recent patch, it doesn't even have to be listed in plan9.ini.
And, I think the 3c589 is included in the distribued kernels, but don't
quote me on that.  It sounds as if the ID string the card returns doesn't
match what the driver is looking for.  In particular the driver is looking
for the strings: 3C589, 3C562, and 589E.  If it doesn't find one of those,
then it won't see it as a 589

BLS

* Re: [9fans] Ethernet card recogition -- Farallon Enet (3C589) -- kernel
@ 2009-01-06 20:58   ` James Deagle
From: James Deagle @ 2009-01-06 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used a December 2007 installation CD, so I'll download the latest version
and try again.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
jed

@ 2009-01-06 21:50     ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2009-01-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I used a December 2007 installation CD, so I'll download the latest version
> and try again.

The particular patch I mentioned made it into the source tree in
the fall, I think.  So any relatively recent one should include it.
But I should point out that it only made it possible for the driver
to detect and use the card without it being listed in plan9.ini.
As I recall, the same cards would work fine if they were explicitly
listed there.

BLS