From: Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] rio in cpu/auth server in vmware fusion 2.0
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:06:38 -0600	[thread overview]

Or better yet, use drawterm to a vmware based Plan 9 stand alone CPU
server.  Copy/paste works, rio is responsive, and the VMWare host
never needs to enter graphics mode.  Don't configure the vm for
multiple cpus though, that doesn't work so well (but virtualizing
multiple cpus doesn't really work well in Parallels or VirtualBox
either, nor on VMWare's ESX servers).  Drawterm will go full screen if
you like.

Whatever virtualized graphics chipset VMWare is providing really does
not work well w/ Plan 9.  I've also found it doesn't work so well with
any other OS I've tried (haven't tried Windows), so you're milage may
vary.

Unless you've got some NDA from VMWare in place so that you can write
a new driver for Plan 9 to use whatever graphics chipset will work,
I'd say stop trying to make Plan 9 do something it won't be able to do
well on VMWare.  In fact, take a quick look at VMWare's knowledge base
support site as there are plenty of references to poor graphics
performance even for their targeted guest OS.

-jas