From: peter huang <peter_huang@hp.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] off-wall idea, file server and SAN
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:56:34 +0000	[thread overview]

thanks for the reply.  However, there was a point missing from my posting.
The purpose of file server is to serve files, while plan9 file system is
better than other file systems in many regards but it can only serve system
running plan9.  While this may not be a problem for most users in plan9 fans
but  if I built a good nice file system, I want the other machines on the
network able to use it, that include mswindows system, linux system, BE ....
I can't spend $3500 just to show I have the coolest file system on earth.  I
know there is an IDE version of the file server in work and that may suit my
need (low cost).  However, the bigger question remain, how do I reduce
redunancy and have one file server doing the right job in a hetergenous
environment.   It is possible to write a ifs (install file system) on NT,
but without implement 9p, I don't think it is useful, the same goes for
linux ext2.  The idea of SAN in my mind is quite similar to plan9 file
server but more target for a hetegrenous environment.   It would be cool to
take some SAN hardware, port plan9 file server on it, add support for smb
protocol and dvd-ram drive and become the one and only one file server on
the network.    It could be the file system for my Tivo box ;-)

Anyway, I like to see plan9 network as the backbone of a small network (such
as home network), machines boot from it or store files on it and never worry
about backup disaster or obsolete hardware (which was the vision).

regards
peter huang