* Re: [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-02 18:04 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gagnon__s, 9fans

> I installed plan9 betwen two other OS , FreeBSD and OpenBSD, in my hard
> drive.
> No prob with the installation and plan9 booted successfully...
> But, when I tried to boot with *BSD... I 've got nothing.
>
> The NetBSD-FreeBSD-OpenBSD-WinNT-windows-plan9's fdisk can see my *BSD's
> slices,
> there are always in my hard drive... it seems that my patitions on my two
> BSD's slices are
> ...... disappear.
> They are no mountable too.
>
> I dont understand . I just installed plan9 in the same place I  previously
> installed the
> plan9 r3 3 months ago and I didn't got this kind of probleme the first time.

I'm trying to understand this.  The symptoms are:

	- fdisk on lots of systems can see the BSD partitions?
	- you can't mount the BSD partition in BSD?

What does

	echo p | disk/fdisk /dev/sdXX/data

(replace sdXX with your disk) print?

Thanks.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-07 12:01 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-07 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First of all, I'm sorry for the delay between your post and mine.
My isp had a "little" problem with his optical fiber...
a prob that it take 3 day to fix.
Secondo, I don't speak english, but I'm sure that I can make better
than the first post I did...:)

On Thu, 2 May 2002 18:10:31 GMT
rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote:

> I'm trying to understand this.  The symptoms are:
>
> 	- fdisk on lots of systems can see the BSD partitions?

Yes, the partition, or slices in BSD's language, are always on the
disk.

> 	- you can't mount the BSD partition in BSD?

I can't mount BSD with the other BSD on my second disk that I previously
disconnected before I tried to install Plan9. I also tried to mount
these slices from the installation disk ( OpenBSD ) because I
can escape to a shell from the installation and use some tools
like mount, disklabel, fdisk, but with no success.
But, I can mount from the BSD on the disk because it cannot
boot...

> What does
>
> 	echo p | disk/fdisk /dev/sdXX/data
>
> (replace sdXX with your disk) print?

/dev/sdC0/data ==
cylinder = 8225280
 p1			0 127	(127 cylinders, 996.21MB) BSD386
*p2		      127 337	(210 cylinders, 1.96GB  ) Plan9
 empty		      337 1019	(683 cylinders, 5.22GB  )
 p3		     1019 2932  (1913 cylinders, 14.65GB) type 166
 p4		     2932 4111  (1179 cylinders, 9.03BG ) BSD386

> Thanks.
> Russ

Ok, forget it about the solution because, the more I think about my prob,
the more I think that the solution is unix specific, not plan9 :).

However, I think that is a problem with plan9 and my MBR. But I don't know
if this problem is "my computer specific".
Plan9 has probably deleted my labels I created with BSD's disklabel(8) for
my partitions inside the BSD's slice. I can see the slice type 166, but not
the partitions /var, /tmp, /home, /usr and /Storage I created inside to be
 more specific. This, is for my two BSD ( Free and Open ) on my
disk ... /dev/sdC0 or /dev/wd0... or the one that we speak about :)

I'll give you some informations about my computer if it is a real
probleme with plan9.

Computer=pc i386
cpu=amd k62 266
disk=maxtor 40G IDE

I don't know what other informations I'll can give to you,
( I'm a newbee on plan9 and unix too...) but if you'll ask
some other informations, it will be a pleasure for me to answer.

--
Serge Gagnon

* Re: [9fans] Post install probs with other OS
@ 2002-05-07 12:04 ` Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-07 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-02  9:32 Serge Gagnon
From: Serge Gagnon @ 2002-05-02  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I installed plan9 betwen two other OS , FreeBSD and OpenBSD, in my hard
drive.
No prob with the installation and plan9 booted successfully...
But, when I tried to boot with *BSD... I 've got nothing.

The NetBSD-FreeBSD-OpenBSD-WinNT-windows-plan9's fdisk can see my *BSD's
slices,
there are always in my hard drive... it seems that my patitions on my two
BSD's slices are
...... disappear.
They are no mountable too.

I dont understand . I just installed plan9 in the same place I  previously
installed the
plan9 r3 3 months ago and I didn't got this kind of probleme the first time.

Anyone know the solution ?
Thanks
--
Serge Gagnon