From: "Devon H. O'Dell" <devon.odell@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Update on Fossil+Venti Stuff
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:29:58 -0400	[thread overview]

2007/3/23, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com>:
> Devon -
>
> > This morning I'm still at 14GB. I mean, I should note that I'm not
> > actually removing any files or anything, and I still have the 25GB of
> > MP3s that were on there at the beginning. So. Still confused and
> > frustrated.
>
> Why are you expecting your fossil partition to become more empty?
> It's a cache - so even when a block has been copied to venti, it
> is still useful to keep a copy in fossil as well, in case it's referenced
> again.  It will be marked 'clean', so that it can be evicted from the
> cache instantly if fossil runs out of space.
>
> Are you still worried that blocks aren't being copied to venti at all?
> You can check by looking at the archive score which is printed
> on fossilcons right after a 'snap -a' is done.  You can use vacfs
> to mount this score as a fs, and then explore that to see if everything
> is there.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here -- when I type snap -a, I
get no output back.

> If you *really* want to empty your fossil partition, you can reformat
> it immediately after a 'snap -a', using the '-v score' option with the
> score of the snap you just made.  (Take the usual precautions first,,
> of course.)

I'll read the fossilcons manpage on this again and see what the usage
of this is. I guess I am somewhat worried, simply because I don't want
to fill my fossil partition (I still have > 35GB data to copy over)
and have it blow up.

At this point, I think I've probably munged what's in Venti enough
that I'm going to go ahead and reinstall with this `newfound'
knowledge.

> -- Richard

Thanks for the information -- I'll definitely try it out this time.

--dho