* [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27  6:44 Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-03-27  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

It has come to my knowledge that there is an unreleased working driver for
broadcom 4401 ethernet card. You can't imagine how useful could be for me If
someone could tell me where to get it.

If there's something missing, I'd love to help to get it finished.

Cheers!!

---
izaki

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27 18:28 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-03-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not aware of a working broadcom driver.  If there is one, we'd
like to have it too.

There is a started but not finished broadcom driver that several
people have.

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27 18:36   ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-03-27 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:28:27 geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> I'm not aware of a working broadcom driver.  If there is one, we'd
> like to have it too.
>
> There is a started but not finished broadcom driver that several
> people have.

Again, everybody talks about it, but I haven't seen it... the only broadcom
driver I've seen is for a 57xx something series...

cheers!

--

@ 2007-03-27 19:00     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-03-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

google?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/f0259c250d21ef06/3d9f0532a00c9e3e?lnk=st&q=group%3Acomp.os.plan9+broadcom&rnum=2&hl=en#3d9f0532a00c9e3e

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27 19:00     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2007-03-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2007/3/27, Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente <lorenzobivens@gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 27 March 2007 12:28:27 geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:
> > I'm not aware of a working broadcom driver.  If there is one, we'd
> > like to have it too.
> >
> > There is a started but not finished broadcom driver that several
> > people have.

> Again, everybody talks about it, but I haven't seen it... the only broadcom
> driver I've seen is for a 57xx something series...
>
> cheers!

Hey Lorenzo,

The details are as follows. There was talk of a 4401 driver -- ericvh
said that jmk had a mostly working version -- on the mentor comments
of your SoC application. The stuff Uriel posted there was for the 57xx
ServerWorks chipset.

I have documentation for all the 57xx chips, so I can help you with
that implementation. As far as the 4401, I don't have docs, but I've
perused other drivers. If you aren't interested in a 57xx driver, I'm
sure I can get one done at some point.

I do see that you were assigned a mentor for another project to which
you applied. If you are accepted, do you have a preference for which
project you work on?

--Devon

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27 19:05       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2007-03-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2007/3/27, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> google?
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/f0259c250d21ef06/3d9f0532a00c9e3e?lnk=st&q=group%3Acomp.os.plan9+broadcom&rnum=2&hl=en#3d9f0532a00c9e3e
>
> -Steve

The 57XX have many features that I'm not sure the 4401 supports. I'm
somewhat surprised that a 4401 driver works on the 57XX, and I'm
almost positive that the reverse cannot be true. (Especially on
drivers that need firmware loaded).

--Devon

* Re: [9fans] Broadcom 4401 driver... Where are you??
@ 2007-03-27 20:14       ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-03-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Devon:

I changed my application a little. I want to work on several NIC drivers,
4401, 57xx, 43xx (Wireless) and some others... I'd also would like to see if
it is possible to sync plan 9 drivers with the inferno ones (Uriel
suggestion). It sounds interesting for me to get an interesting view of the
two OSs.

On the other hand, hardware support is really important. I'd love to put my
two cents to help plan 9's hardware support, specially on something
9essential ;) like NICs.

I've other plans for plan 9 too that suits my necessities, but for the moment,
let's make it work ;)

I really appreciate any kind of comments, suggestions, "pushing" or help.

Cheers!