From: Kenji Okamoto <okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 BoF Picture
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:07:48 +0900	[thread overview]

Thanks Ron.

Now, I got it right.

By the way, I fetched xen-2.0.1-src.tgz and also unstable version,
but those doesn't include your Plan 9 port.   Haven't you released your
codes yet?

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4712 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:39:39 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:

> Please Ron, explain what is the view of acme of the screen for us
> who did not attend the bof, particularly why we can see graphic
> images of Plan 9 on Xen.

Plan 9 runs under Xen as a guest os, or domain. Linux is domain 0, and
hence is "special" in that it can initiate and control other domains.
Linux talks to Xen to start the other domains. So to start Plan, you log
into linux and:
1. losetup /dev/loop0 your-plan9-root-image-file
2. xm create -f /etc/xen/plan9 -c
   starts up a plan 9 domain, domain 1 or higher.
   The -c switch gives you a telnet console to the plan 9
   console. It uses the 9pccpu kernel in the current directory.

3. drawterm to the plan 9 domain.

So, sorry, that graphics was drawterm, nothing more. You can see the
window manager bar from X11 on the far left side of the screen ... I was
running that drawterm on desktop 2 of the window manager (the wm in this
case was flwm). It's fun to flip back and forth between plan 9 and the X11
world with <Ctrl>F1 and <Ctrl>F2.

graphics may happen, but again for graphics you need to write a driver for
the display ... not simple, which is why I did this in the first place.

ron