Something of a recap from irc, but for others who might be interested: On OS X, this all just worked for me pretty much as described in the manual. With a running venti and $venti set, I ran this: sudo vbackup /dev/rdisk0s2 and a few hours later got output like this: mount /vav/2008/0624 hfs:35eb...5a1b 2008/0624/1447 # 2008/0624 14:47:07.178 /dev/rdisk0s2 hfs:35eb...5a1b Adding those lines verbatim to a file 'config', I then ran: vnfs -c 16k config and got back: handle da...0d I don't yet fully understand the implications of that 16 char hex string, so I'm not posting it here, but I didn't seem to need it anywhere else. I'd previously created /mnt/dump, and then sudo vmount udp!localhost!2049 /mnt/dump made paths like /mnt/dump/vav/2008/0624/Users/anthony exist. On my venti server, I got a *lot* of these messages: venti/venti: bucket overflow XXX but I think I understand that (this is a junk venti server used for experimentation, so i didn't spend any time sizing things appropriately) and it's unrelated to vbackup or vnfs. The only real problem from just following the manual exactly was the instructions to mount something like udp!localhost!nfs; my system couldn't resolve "nfs", so I pulled the port number out of my local /etc/services and all was well. Notes: 1) This is really nice. Once I sort out issue #2 below and get a cron script together, I've got my new cross-platform network backup system. 2) vbackup from another host didn't work. Both are reasonably recent p9p installs (the "other" system is from yesterday, and my venti server is from a month or two ago), but i get: vbackup: vtconnect: vtversion: bad format in version string I'll look into it more in any time I get while traveling. 3) Speed isn't stellar, but is okay. Every compressed audio or video file I tried worked without issue, but raw 640x480 DV was a bit much for it. Mind you, that's with everything on one system and the venti arenas on a HFS+ file system on an external FireWire 400 disk. 4) It looks like libdiskfs allows vnfs to serve up arbitrary disk image formats (hfs, ffs, ufs, &c), which is awesome, but it'd be nice if it could also serve vac snapshots. Anything peculiar about vac that inhibits this, or is it just a matter of extra code in libdiskfs (or in vnfs, to switch between libdiskfs and something for vac)? 5) I didn't do anything particular regarding a portmapper and have never run nfs on this Mac, but ps does show I've got /usr/sbin/portmap running. Maybe another small datapoint for John's problem. Anthony