* Re: [9fans] Re: wiki changes
@ 2006-02-16 11:24   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What is the purpose for the adm user/group?  Shouldn't sys be enough?
> I'm probably missing something obviously.

adm is the file server (and eve owns the cpu).
no one can be adm.

russ

* [9fans] Re: wiki changes
       [not found] <b8fb0cd32aa3b19d181f5b0db1fec046@swtch.com>
@ 2006-02-16 16:20 ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I don't think I ever created the /adm/keys file and it all "just
>> worked", /adm is mode 775 adm:sys and the user is assumed to be in
>> group sys, so it should not be a problem, I think.  But my picture of
>> how all this fits together is not very clear, so probably I got
>> something wrong.
>
> i thought adm was mode 775 adm:adm.
> that's what the proto file says.
Not in any of the systems I have here, and I have never touched them (one is a fresh install
from a couple of weeks ago):

% ls -ld /adm
d-rwxrwxr-x M 8 adm sys 0 Feb 4 07:44 /adm

What is the purpose for the adm user/group?  Shouldn't sys be enough?
I'm probably missing something obviously.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Re: wiki changes
@ 2006-02-16 16:44     ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> What is the purpose for the adm user/group?  Shouldn't sys be enough?
>> I'm probably missing something obviously.
>
> adm is the file server (and eve owns the cpu).
> no one can be adm.
But sys is member of group adm by default.  I'm still somewhat
confused as to what the roles of each are, adm as far I can see just
owns a few files under /adm, which can be written to by sys anyway, so
what is the purpose of adm?

Sorry for being dense.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Re: wiki changes
@ 2006-02-16 17:22       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-02-16 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But sys is member of group adm by default.  I'm still somewhat
> confused as to what the roles of each are, adm as far I can see just
> owns a few files under /adm, which can be written to by sys anyway, so
> what is the purpose of adm?

adm is the user corresponding to the file server.
File server files (like /adm/users) are owned by adm.

You cannot attach as adm.  It is explicitly disallowed.
You can use this to create files that can be modified only
on the file server console.  If you take sys out of adm
(done on more paranoid systems) then you can be sure
no one but the file server is editing things like /adm/users.
An empty adm group was the default on the worm file server.

Even having sys in adm doesn't open the system very much,
since that's the sys user, not the sys group.

Russ

* [9fans] Re: wiki changes
       [not found] <4cd2b7e516bb1cf90dbf06fe748780bc@swtch.com>
@ 2006-02-16 16:10 ` uriel
From: uriel @ 2006-02-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc; +Cc: 9fans

> Thanks for the recent changes to the wiki.
> They're pretty good but I found a handful of small errors,
> which are listed below.
>
> On the whole the new text looks better.  Thanks.
> Russ

Thanks for the feedback and the corrections!

>> - #DISABLE PERMISSIONS CHECKING
>
> If you killed this section, how are they supposed to
> have permission to do the rest?  At the least you
> should tell them how to add glenda to sys.

That is documented in [adding a new user], I will point there.

IMHO it's much better to add glenda to group sys than the "disable
permissions checking" hack.  I have asked several times, is there any
good reason why glenda is not in group sys by default?  It would make
setting up things for new users much easier.

I thought it was you who said disabling permission checking should be
deprecated.

>> - #! # auth/keyfs -wp -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
>> + #! # auth/keyfs -p -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
>>   #! # auth/cron >>/sys/log/cron >[2=1] &
>
> Why did you remove the -w?  Regardless of whether you
> think it's a good idea to use -w, that's what cpurc says!

Sorry, I got confused with the other call to keyfs where -w was
superfluous.  I added it back.

> This text (cut from earlier in the page) should be added to the
> beginning of this section:
> 	> - #You can decide what name to give your cpu server owner. This is the
> 	> - #user that all the cpu servers run as. We'll name the user 'bootes';
> 	> - #it is recommended that you also choose 'bootes' as it will appear in
> 	> - #the instructions frequently.

Yes, I deleted it because it was in a place where it was not relevant,
I'm still not too happy with that text, but I added it back as it is.

> You got rid of the text about creating the key file and
> the cron log file.  That's an important step (no one has
> permissions to create in /adm) and needs to be
> updated for fossil:
>
>> - #It's necessary to clear the existing key file:
>> - #
>> - #! rm /adm/keys
>> - #! disk/kfscmd 'create /adm/keys bootes bootes 660'
>> - #
>> - #If necessary, create cron's log file with:
>> - #
>> - #! disk/kfscmd 'create /sys/log/cron bootes sys 664 a'
Yes, but this assumes kfs. And the cron file was created before:
! main: create /active/sys/log/cron bootes bootes a664

I don't think I ever created the /adm/keys file and it all "just
worked", /adm is mode 775 adm:sys and the user is assumed to be in
group sys, so it should not be a problem, I think.  But my picture of
how all this fits together is not very clear, so probably I got
something wrong.

>> - #Optionally, configure your mail setup (described above) by editing
>> - #rewrite, remotemail, smtpd.conf, and names.local, all in /mail/lib.
>> - #
>
> This is important!  Why did it go away?

Because it's covered in [mail configuration].  I will add a link to it
at the bottom along the link to the file server setup link.

>>   #COMPILE AND INSTALL A STANDALONE CPU/AUTH KERNEL
>
> The compiling part can go away - just use /386/9pccpuf.
Good idea.

>>   # *	A netkey binary is available from
>>   #	[ftp://plan9.bell-labs.com/netkey/] .
>>   # *	If you want to access cpu server from the internet and have a
>>   #	firewall, open up ports 567 and 17013.
>
> Will anyone have any idea what a netkey binary is at this point?
Not me :)

>> + #Also note that in case you really want a dedicated file server, a
>> + #new version of the file server code updated to use the latest
>> + #version of 9P and with various other improvements can be found at:
>> + #/n/sources/contrib/geoff/fs64.tgz
>
> Fs64 adds 64-bit files sizes.  The current /sys/src/9 already
> speaks the latest version of 9P.
Oh, it would be nice if fs64 could be merged with /sys/src/9/fs/,
maybe goeff could get direct write access to that sub-tree as he is
the one maintaining that code?

I think I fixed all the other problems you reported, let me know if
there is anything else.

Thanks

uriel