From: adr <adr@SDF.ORG>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] USB3 1Gb ethernet card working on 9legacy (rpi 4)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 00:34:41 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022, Richard Miller wrote:
>> So bad maxpkt... etherusb check for maxpkt < 512 which is the max for
>> bulk transfers in usb2 high speed. Using 1024 instead fixes the problem.
>
> Thanks, the code was correct when written but the world has moved on!
> Is your adapter transmitting packets successfully now?

It's working really well. I'm using David du Colombier's nat patch
(I'll post to the list another one without the il stuff in case
someone wants to try it) to share internet to a linux machine, so
I made a test from the browser (speedtest.net) and almost reached
the contracted limit of my fiber connection, although I only have
a crappy 100Mb plan (I don't really need more). So packets are
flowing, but when plan9 is more involved things get worse.

For example with this setup (a small arm linux machine connected
through plan9, using the usb adapter for internet):

linux:
$ wget -O /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2
[...]
/dev/null           100%[===================>] 489.88M  10.5MB/s    in 51s

2022-08-02 22:56:44 (9.58 MB/s) - ???/dev/null??? saved [513671168/513671168]

real    0m51.875s
user    0m8.594s
sys     0m5.379s

And the progress bar saw me several times the speed reaching my
limit. So the usb and ethernet drivers seem to be working pretty
good (at least for my bandwidth)

plan9:
; time hget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2
couldn't set mtime: permission denied
8.06u 35.25s 211.17r     hget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2

See the difference? That's a little more than 19Mb/s, some 2MiB/s almost 50% slower.

By the way I don't use archlinux but I've always use their servers
to make speed tests, usually they are fast.

> Actually the limit on maxpkt in that context wasn't strictly necessary anyway.
> Just remove the check.

Yes, I thought the same.

adr