* Re: [9fans] Unmount a USB stick?
@ 2008-04-04 13:23 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2008-04-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I should have tried it myself before saying confidently:

> To see the disk in another window, just type usbfat: there

In fact usbfat: doesn't quite do the right thing.

You can either fix /rc/bin/usbfat: by moving the lines
	if (! test -e $disk)
		usb/disk $opts || exit 'no disk'
to follow the line
  if (! test -f /srv/usbfat.$user) {

or else just use
  mount -c /srv/usbfat.$user /n/usb
to mount an already-mounted usb disk in another window.

* [9fans] Unmount a USB stick?
@ 2008-04-03 22:11 devrin talen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: devrin talen @ 2008-04-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've got a USB stick that I've been using to shuttle a few docs
around. I googled a bit and I've been using:

% usb/disk -l
% usbfat:

to mount the stick. That works all well and good, but how do I go
about ejecting it gracefully? I've tried:

% unmount /n/usb
% unmount /n/disk

But have no idea if that's the right way to go about it. Additionally
if I eject it in this manner the next time I try to mount it using the
first two commands I get a bunch of usb errors.

Also, why is the disk only available from the rc window that I used to
mount it? In any other rc window I can't access the /n/usb mountpoint.
I realize I'm probably missing something fundamental about plan 9
(newbie here).

- Devrin