* [9fans] Audio with QEMU
@ 2000-01-02 12:30 john
From: john @ 2000-01-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I've got my QEMU terminal booting and mounting the filesystem
over the network. Now I'd like to get audio working, so I start QEMU
with the -soundhw sb16 option and put the following in plan9.ini:

audio0=type=sb16 irq=5 port=0x220 dma=5

When I reboot and 'bind -a '#A' /dev', I can now use madplay to play
an mp3, but the output I get is very scratchy and generally ugly, like
a terribly static-garbled radio station. Can anyone with experience in
this give me some pointers? Thanks.

John Floren

* Re: [9fans] Audio with QEMU
@ 2007-03-18 19:37 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2007-03-18 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You could use esound for audio in plan9 if your host enviroment
has a esd-server. (here is even a windows implementation but i
have the client only tested against the original esd code)

the sourcecode is at:

http://9hal.ath.cx/usr/cinap_lenrek/esdaudio.tgz

code is something messy and here is no manpage :-(

you can invoke it with:

esdaudio tcp!host!port

if you want to do authentification you can pass a keyfile with
the -k option.

it binds itself over /dev and provides /volume /audio /audioin.

have fun
cinap_lenrek

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2910 bytes --]

From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Audio with QEMU
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 07:30:49 -0500

@ 2007-03-19  8:50 ` Salva Peiró
From: Salva Peiró @ 2007-03-19  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/2/00, john@csplan9.rit.edu <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:

> Well, I've got my QEMU terminal booting and mounting the filesystem
> over the network. Now I'd like to get audio working, so I start QEMU
> with the -soundhw sb16 option and put the following in plan9.ini:
>
> audio0=type=sb16 irq=5 port=0x220 dma=5
>
> When I reboot and 'bind -a '#A' /dev', I can now use madplay to play
> an mp3, but the output I get is very scratchy and generally ugly, like
> a terribly static-garbled radio station. Can anyone with experience in
> this give me some pointers? Thanks.
>

> John Floren

When I use madplay on Plan 9 native, sound cuts since it's a slow machine,
so I give madplay a higher priority and then it sounds fine:

# the details are covered by proc(3) /Priorities/
pid=`{ps | awk '/madplay/ {print $2}'
cat /proc/$pid/status
echo pri 18 > /proc/$pid/ctl
cat /proc/$pid/status