* [9fans] keyfs warnings
@ 2007-05-01 12:56 Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-05-01 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear list,

I have done some more reading through documentations after my last
post to this list about the strange loss if user login data on my
auth server.

I am now able to pin down the problem to keyfs. I have started over
by

- overwriting my nvram with bla
- truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
- rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
- killing keyfs
- starting auth/keyfs on the server console
- creating new keys with auth/changeuser for bootes and another user
- rebooting

After that I am able to log in as bootes but not the other user (the
user is present on the fossil filesystem)

When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
following warnings:
% auth/keyfs
keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
4 keys read

1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage

Any hints?

Yours,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings
@ 2007-05-01 13:13 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-01 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> - overwriting my nvram with bla

i think what you have should work, but i think you'd rather zero
out the whole file:

	dd -if /dev/zero -of /n/9fat/plan9.nvr -count 1

> - truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
> - rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
> - killing keyfs
> - starting auth/keyfs on the server console

i don't understand this step.  if keyfs is running on the console
of your auth server, restarting it shouldn't make any difference.

(you should always be dealing with keyfs and changeuser from the
console of the auth server.)

> - creating new keys with auth/changeuser for bootes and another user
> - rebooting
>
> After that I am able to log in as bootes but not the other user (the
> user is present on the fossil filesystem)

where are you "logging in" from.  i assume, since you mentioned this
is a combined fs/cpu/auth server, that you are drawterming in from
another machine?

> When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
> following warnings:
> % auth/keyfs
> keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> 4 keys read
>
> 1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
> 2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
> 3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage

what is in /mnt/keys on the console after you have just booted the machine?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings
@ 2007-05-01 15:17   ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-05-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> [070501 15:21]:
> > - truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys
> > - rebooting, filling in password and secstore phrase
> > - killing keyfs
> > - starting auth/keyfs on the server console
>
> i don't understand this step.  if keyfs is running on the console
> of your auth server, restarting it shouldn't make any difference.
>
> (you should always be dealing with keyfs and changeuser from the
> console of the auth server.)

The reason for this is that otherwise I don't see anything on
/mnt/keys, i.e. lc /mnt/keys shows nothing, even after a
auth/changeuser.

> where are you "logging in" from.  i assume, since you mentioned this
> is a combined fs/cpu/auth server, that you are drawterming in from
> another machine?

Yes I am using drawterm

> > When I now kill/restart keyfs on the server keyfs prints the
> > following warnings:
> > % auth/keyfs
> > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> > keyfs: warning: bad status in key file
> > 4 keys read
> >
> > 1. Shouldn't there be only 2 keys as I have added 2 users?
> > 2. When trying to auth/debug the user login still fails
> > 3. lc /mnt/keys displays garbage
>
> what is in /mnt/keys on the console after you have just booted the machine?

As I said above it is emtpy.

Thanks,

Christian

--

@ 2007-05-01 15:19     ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2007-05-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> truncating the /adm/keys file with echo '' > /adm/keys

if that's really what you write, it will put a newline in /adm/keys, not truncate it

* Re: [9fans] keyfs warnings
@ 2007-05-01 15:39       ` Christian Kellermann
From: Christian Kellermann @ 2007-05-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs