* [9fans] netsurf or opossum
@ 2021-01-07  6:52 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2021-01-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I got now rwo new web browsers which can do css and/or js on my
9front box.

Both have almost same functionality and speed etc.
A page with JS (https://eonet.ne.jp) is almost same as that by JS enabled netsurf.

Netsurf is written in C, and Opossum is in Go.
Most basic difference is that opossum is written for Plan 9
from the beginning which may be better for us...

How do you think?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] netsurf or opossum
@ 2021-01-07  8:07 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2021-01-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Netsurf is written in C, and Opossum is in Go.
> Most basic difference is that opossum is written for Plan 9
> from the beginning which may be better for us...

One point in favour, from a Go fan: Go is far more maintainable than
C. I can think of some disadvantages, though.

As I can't find opossum by simple google, that's as much as I can
contribute. Possum seems to be a web library, so I can't comment, at
least not yet.

Lucio,

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 71 471 3694
Cell: +27 83 251 5824

* Re: [9fans] netsurf or opossum
@ 2021-01-07  8:28   ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2021-01-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://git.pmikkelsen.com/ph/opossum

* Re: [9fans] netsurf or opossum
@ 2021-01-07 20:50     ` Philip Silva via 9fans
From: Philip Silva via 9fans @ 2021-01-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To be fair I think the rendering quality can be attributed to the html/css processing. For instance parsing is completely done by golang.org/x/net/html and github.com/aymerick/douceur. (Also one can get quite far with handling display: inline/inline-block/flex and height/width attributes)

One disadvantage might be that some existing HTML styling attributes aren't implemented yet like colspan or "standard" tags like textarea or radio inputs although that's easy to implement. Also it's quite speculative how far one could get with JS which is essentially based on goja and domino. But it's promising that jQuery click handlers work in isolated examples, despite the onclick attribute not even being implemented.

Probably it's also worth mentioning that memory consumption is comparable to that of a regular browser on macOS. Maybe this could be solved by some kind of tree slicing.

In any case I think developing is fun most of the time!

Greetings, Philip

From: kokamoto @ 2021-01-07 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you very much for your technical explanation, Philip.

By the way the file sizes of both are:

--rwxrwxr-x M 24 sys sys 51135788 Jan  7 15:33 /amd64/bin/netsurf
--rwxr-xr-x M 24 sys sys 15456437 Jan  7 09:32 /amd64/bin/opossum

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] netsurf or opossum
@ 2021-01-08  5:48       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2021-01-08  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Also it's quite speculative how far one could get with JS which is essentially based on goja and domino.

Yes, JS works in more limited than netsurf, although the latter has a little functions.

One big disadvantage is not having 'colspan'...

Kenji