From: Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] [Fwd: road sign]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:09:17 -0500	[thread overview]

On Oct 11, 2005, at 2:25 AM, Uriel wrote:

> when I hear about resource forks or extended attributes I reach for my
> MP5.
>
> apple latest "innovation" is to fuck up tar, zip, and I think even cp
> and mv to pass around their wonderful crap.

You missed my comment "read Adobe".

> a file I got from a graphic design company we work with:

And because of that ... I'd wager you got a jpg from a graphic design
company that was using Photoshop or Quark, which still embed resource
forks into all the files they save so they can get nice little
"thumbnails" to show up in the worst piece of software Apple has on
the market: the Finder.  None of the Cocoa API applications use
resource forks by default anymore, only the applications written by
old Mac-heads tend to do that.

So, besides the ACLs and other cruft that 10.4 produced to get 64bit
file systems supported, the 'new' BSD based versions of cp/mv/tar/zip
do proper checking in case a resource fork just happens to be there
(thankfully all the included tools will now properly split those
forks when placing the files on non-HFS mountpoints).

What that means... future support of Venti on OSX w/ P9US.

jas