* [9fans] PUSH sources for Plan 9
@ 2011-01-27  1:42 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-27  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Are the sources for the PUSH shell
available for Plan 9 proper? It seems
as though it was originally conceived
on Plan 9, then ported to UNIX-compat
systems via P9P. I couldn't find the
Plan 9 sources on the Google Code
repo. It would be nice to just be able
to compile and go.

Thanks,
ak

* Re: [9fans] PUSH sources for Plan 9
@ 2011-01-27  1:48 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-01-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://code.google.com/p/push/

* Re: [9fans] PUSH sources for Plan 9
@ 2011-01-27  2:52   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-27  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yes, I've seen this. This is the port to Plan 9 Ports.
I would like the code for Plan 9. I imagine reproducing
will make things uglier than the original.

@ 2011-01-27  3:22     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2011-01-27  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Yes, I've seen this. This is the port to Plan 9 Ports.
> I would like the code for Plan 9. I imagine reproducing
> will make things uglier than the original.
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://code.google.com/p/push/

https://bitbucket.org/ericvh/hare/src/3b24a40eb3d1/sys/src/cmd/push/

may be partial, development is ongoing - bug noah.

       -eric

* Re: [9fans] PUSH sources for Plan 9
@ 2011-01-27  9:08       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-27  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is "broken!" the default prompt, or am I
seeing some error here? A primitive
grep of the source files didn't reveal
any instance of that string, so I wonder...
Also because:

broken! echo hello |< cat >| cat
rc (push): empty argument list
rc (push): empty argument list
term%

Perhaps I should try the test/ dir first...

Thanks!
ak

@ 2011-01-27  9:20         ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2011-01-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've not looked closely at push, but I assume it uses the same /rc/lib/rcmain as, well, rc. See that file for the trick: it sets the prompt to that if your running a $O.out, so you know.

anth

* Re: [9fans] PUSH sources for Plan 9
@ 2011-01-27 10:30         ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2011-01-27 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You need filters and the filters need to be set up by default in
rcmain. Anthony is on top of things as usual :) It would be nice to
have other users and if you are interested in exercising it ping me
offlist.

Noah

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Akshat Kumar

@ 2011-01-29 20:31           ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-29 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Noah,

I pinged you offline. Not sure if you got my
messages.

It seems that your fan-in operator creates
the pipes, then they're passed along to the
ORF and IRF through argv (via the fan-out
and fan-in respectively). I've checked that
indeed the pipes are being created, by
running push -r ... and subsequently
checking /fd to make sure the corresp.
file descriptors are there. And the '-r'
flag even tells me:
Xsimple (../fdcat ) (13 9 5 )
Xsimple (echo ) (14 10 6 )

and yet, my IRF and ORF programs
don't receive any arguments - the argv
list is empty for both. Any ideas why
this could be?

Thanks,
ak

@ 2011-01-29 22:32             ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2011-01-29 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey Akshat,

I received your previous message, I just haven't had time to answer it.

The reason that is failing is because the arguments are one stack
frame above the commands being executed.

The value should be:

Xsimple (echo  14 10 6 )

I promise I'm not ignoring you.

Noah

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Hi Noah,
>
> I pinged you offline. Not sure if you got my
> messages.
>
> It seems that your fan-in operator creates
> the pipes, then they're passed along to the
> ORF and IRF through argv (via the fan-out
> and fan-in respectively). I've checked that
> indeed the pipes are being created, by
> running push -r ... and subsequently
> checking /fd to make sure the corresp.
> file descriptors are there. And the '-r'
> flag even tells me:
> Xsimple (../fdcat ) (13 9 5 )
> Xsimple (echo ) (14 10 6 )
>
> and yet, my IRF and ORF programs
> don't receive any arguments - the argv
> list is empty for both. Any ideas why
> this could be?
>

> Thanks,
> ak
>

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Noah Evans <noah.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You need filters and the filters need to be set up by default in
>> rcmain. Anthony is on top of things as usual :) It would be nice to
>> have other users and if you are interested in exercising it ping me
>> offlist.
>>
>> Noah
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Akshat Kumar
>> <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
>>> Is "broken!" the default prompt, or am I
>>> seeing some error here? A primitive
>>> grep of the source files didn't reveal
>>> any instance of that string, so I wonder...
>>> Also because:
>>>
>>> broken! echo hello |< cat >| cat
>>> rc (push): empty argument list
>>> rc (push): empty argument list