In short. Physical access trumps all other locking mechanisms anyway. CPU servers were not meant to be workstations, and the lack of a screen lock shows that. But then workstations are easily stolen. 2 were taken from the building where I work in the last weeks at a law firm office (we share our building IANAL), and no amount of screen locks saved those. However I still screensaver lock my desktop when I leave for the weekend. Not that it'd matter, if someone really wanted my data they could get it. Dave On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:04 AM, erik quanstrom wrote: > > There is also, somewhere, a screen locker program that (I think) Rob > > wrote a few years back; I compiled it and used it successfully last > > year, and you could certainly stick that in your cpustart to > > automatically lock the screen. However, for the life of me I can't > > find the code right now, so maybe somebody else can point to it. > > i didn't suggest lock for cpu servers since it requires > rio. seems silly to run rio on the console just to lock it. > and unfortunately, i think this method would also interfere > with the serial console. and it wouldn't be immune to > a three-fingered salute, ^P, ^T^Tr, and other hilarity. > > since there are no interrupts on the console, it would seem > trivial to me to, ahem, lock down the console with a 10 line program. > you'd be left with defending against ^T^Tr, ^P, etc. > but then again, the power button or network cable is sooo > convienent. heck, just take the machine home. :-P. > > - erik > >