* [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-17 13:50 Brad Frank
From: Brad Frank @ 2010-08-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I recently did a clean install of plan9 on qemu on linux. I've noticed
that the load is spiking on an interval every 30 seconds or something like
that. I looked at suggestions that it might be venti and timesync. But it
couldn't be venti because I didn't install venti, I have a fossil only
install. I looked at timesync, and killed it, and the load was still
spiking. It was suggested I try zwansch's gtop, which I did do, and I found
that fossil was using the most utime/stime. But it seemed like two different
threads? Fossil [disk] and Fossil [flush]. When I killed fossil [disk] my
load dropped, but obviously I lost disk access. What could possibly be
wrong, and why is it doing this? Another interesting thing, is that when the
load spikes like that, the emulator seems to temporarily lag or not respond,
until the load drops again, so this also effects the performance of plan9.
Any suggestions would be quite helpful.

* [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-17 16:55 Brad Frank
From: Brad Frank @ 2010-08-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, doing those things would be an alternative. But the bigger question is
why is fossil hitting the load like that while running in Qemu. And also,
another question is whether this would be happening on physical hardware as
well... Is there anything I can do to figure out why it is doing that, and
how to resolve it?

* [9fans] Load spikes on intervals in qemu
@ 2010-08-19  2:19 Brad Frank
From: Brad Frank @ 2010-08-19  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans