2010/10/13 roger peppe > 2010/10/13 David Leimbach : > > I guess I do not understand how 9p doesn't support pipelining. All > > requests are tagged and can be dealt with between client and server in > > any order right? > > two issues (at least): > > 1) concurrently sent requests can be reordered (they're serviced in > separate > threads on the server) which means that, when reading from a streaming file > which ignores file offsets, you don't necessarily get data back in the > order that > you asked for it. > > 2) you can't pipeline requests if the result of one request depends on the > result of a previous. for instance: walk to file, open it, read it, close > it. > if the first operation fails, then subsequent operations will be invalid. > I guess I'm trying to imagine how specifically you could pipeline, not the general ways in which pipelining will fail with 9P. > > > > > On Wednesday, October 13, 2010, Eric Van Hensbergen > wrote: > >> For folks interested in more info on the šp portion of Noah's Osprey > talk, > >> Anant's thesis is available online: http://proness.kix.in/misc/ > šp-v2.pdf > >> > >> -eric > >> > >> > > > > > >