* [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 16:10 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-08-31 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've seen a little bit of information about trying to go to LLVM for
Inferno, and getting LLVM on Plan 9 natively (feasibility anyway), and I was
wondering if there's any official projects chasing this in earnest?

Now that I've got an ARM and an x86 plan 9 instance up, I might have some
time, but I can tell you compilers are definitely not my specialty :-).

Dave

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 18:33 ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-08-31 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is this a trick to get C++ back on Plan9??

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 19:48   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-08-31 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Nick LaForge <nicklaforge@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is this a trick to get C++ back on Plan9??

Actually I'm not as interested in C++ as others may be.  I'm more interested
in the general capabilities of LLVM.  It's a pretty nice target for making
little languages.  There's tutorials for doing so from O'Caml and Haskell
for example.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 20:56   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-08-31 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is this a trick to get C++ back on Plan9??

was it ever?

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 20:59 ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2010-08-31 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

LLVM is written in C++, so you'd need C++ support on plan 9 first. Probably
the easiest way to do that would be to add support for plan 9 binaries to
clang, and cross-compile llvm for plan 9 with itself.

At least, that's the path I'd take if I was interested in trying.

--
    Ori Bernstein

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 21:03   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-08-31 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> LLVM is written in C++, so you'd need C++ support on plan 9 first. Probably
> the easiest way to do that would be to add support for plan 9 binaries to
> clang, and cross-compile llvm for plan 9 with itself.

Yep.  I was thinking a cross compile of clang to Plan 9 would be the
starting point once LLVM is self-hosting (Is it?)

> At least, that's the path I'd take if I was interested in trying.

Likewise.  In the meantime it'd be nice to be able to build even just a
cross compiler to target Plan 9 :-).

Dave

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:10:42 -0700, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've seen a little bit of information about trying to go to LLVM for
> > Inferno, and getting LLVM on Plan 9 natively (feasibility anyway), and I
> was
> > wondering if there's any official projects chasing this in earnest?
> >
> > Now that I've got an ARM and an x86 plan 9 instance up, I might have some
> > time, but I can tell you compilers are definitely not my specialty :-).
> >
> > Dave
>

> --
>     Ori Bernstein

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 21:31     ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-08-31 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>There's tutorials for doing so from O'Caml

[http://llvm.org/docs/tutorial/]

That looks really neat.  I had watched this*:
[http://vimeo.com/14313378] weeks back, subsequently flipping through
Appel's "Modern Compiler Implementation in ML", but ultimately
deciding the book to be too boring.  This, on the other hand, is
pretty inciting.

However, I still couldn't bring myself to deal with an additional
compiler as long as gcc+valgrind+qemu+vx32 continue to work.

I also wouldn't touch LLVM before all the opportunities for synergy
between lunix and Plan9 created by Golang are exhausted, and I think
there are lots of them.  (Is 9Go still unfinished even?)

*Not really recommended because it is too long, though it did turn me
on to the O'Caml language.

>> Is this a trick to get C++ back on Plan9??

> was it ever?

(Completely irrelevant to people living in 2010; cfront not guaranteed
against causing brain hemorrhages)

You can see B. Stroustrup's monitor prominently displaying either 8½
or Rio on the back of "The Design and Evolution of C++" (©1994 AT&T
Bell Labs)...

And: /n/sources/extra/c++.2e.tgz

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 21:52     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2010-08-31 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:03:41 PDT David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:
>
> > LLVM is written in C++, so you'd need C++ support on plan 9 first. Probably
> > the easiest way to do that would be to add support for plan 9 binaries to
> > clang, and cross-compile llvm for plan 9 with itself.
> >

> Yep.  I was thinking a cross compile of clang to Plan 9 would be the
> starting point once LLVM is self-hosting (Is it?)

You can do this:

$ clang -c -emit-llvm foo.c -o foo.bc	# llvm format output
$ llc -march=c foo.bc -o bar.c		# C output

No idea if the resulting .c file is compilable with plan9 C!
For a real port you'd need to add plan9 a.out format support
to llvm. Or add ELF support to plan9 :-)

> Likewise.  In the meantime it'd be nice to be able to build even just a
> cross compiler to target Plan 9 :-).

I am interested.

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 22:21       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-08-31 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well I'm interested in Go on Plan 9, but I'm also interested in other
languages too, even one's people haven't written yet.

LLVM seems like pretty decent toolkit for building them up.

Dave

From: David Leimbach @ 2010-08-31 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Bakul Shah
<bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com<bakul%2Bplan9@bitblocks.com>
> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:03:41 PDT David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Ori Bernstein <ori@eigenstate.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > LLVM is written in C++, so you'd need C++ support on plan 9 first.
> Probably
> > > the easiest way to do that would be to add support for plan 9 binaries
> > > clang, and cross-compile llvm for plan 9 with itself.
> > >

> > Yep.  I was thinking a cross compile of clang to Plan 9 would be the
> > starting point once LLVM is self-hosting (Is it?)
>
> You can do this:
>
> $ clang -c -emit-llvm foo.c -o foo.bc   # llvm format output
> $ llc -march=c foo.bc -o bar.c          # C output
>
> No idea if the resulting .c file is compilable with plan9 C!
> For a real port you'd need to add plan9 a.out format support
> to llvm. Or add ELF support to plan9 :-)
>
> > Likewise.  In the meantime it'd be nice to be able to build even just a
> > cross compiler to target Plan 9 :-).
>
> I am interested.

I hadn't thought about that... interesting.

* Re: [9fans] LLVM for plan 9?
@ 2010-08-31 22:24       ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2010-08-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

oops, s/inciting/enticing/ (not quite the same thing... :-p)