On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Charles Forsyth wrote: > the race is that there's nothing to say that the clunk completes before the > process continues on to do something more, including some action that > depends on the clunk completing, > such as simply repeating the open. that open can fail if the mode or the > name > imposes particular constraints; constraints that depend on the order of > events as > expressed by the process. > Of course, we don't want the process to wait. On a 'decent' file server, TClunk doesn't do anything that a process would have to wait for, except invalidate the FID; (I exclude ORCLOSE and OEXCL files here). Guarding this with MCACHE means that there was already a statement from the user "I think that this file server is a decent character.". You can definitely write file servers on which TClunk does things -- ones in which the right combination of opens and clunks fires the missiles, for example. This is not for those file servers. On a decent server, since clunk cannot fail and won't launch the missiles, you can't really do anything that would depend on the result anyway... Seem reasonable? -- vs